1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IBM shrinks magnetic storage to just 12 atoms

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 13 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Hardly a practical working concept is it. More a "we can do something really neat" statement than a proof of concept, especially given the fact that you are essentially talking about superconductor properties.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, but neither was the first (bottle-sized) transistor. IBM reckons it works at room temperature, too, but needs 150 atoms instead of 12; that's still pretty damn small.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Since when was it claimed that Moore's Law applies to experimental lab based magnetic storage mechanisms? Moore's Law is about transistors (The general understanding anyway).

It's Kryder's Law that applies to hard drives http://bit.ly/xyD1sP so even saying this experiment pushes past said law is stretching things a bit far, seeing as it's 100% impractical to put into practice at the current point in time.

It's a lab trick, like 21 years ago when they wrote IBM in individual atoms http://bit.ly/xpQ1gj. Very clever and a show of what can be done in the lab, but not something mainstream.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It was the comparative that IBM itself used, but you're right: Moore was originally talking transistors.

6. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

So at room temperature the storage density is approximately 10x that of current technologies (based on 12 atoms being 100x denser)

Wonder what the speeds of accessing data via this method is - it's almost pointless having all that storage space if it's slower to access than current technologies. Speed has been the biggest focus of late via SSD's, so I feel any technology would have to offer capacity as well as speed benefits. 200TB backup facilities would be fantastic, but it doesn't feel like a step forward for me - it's 2012 and the future of storage is little magnets? That doesn't feel like a new technology - more an optimization of one that's been done to death.

How robust a mechanism really is this?

7. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I built myself a compass using antiferromagnets before my trek across the Antarctica, got lost for months going round in circles and getting chased by bleedin polar bears. Bloody eBay.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I think you were more lost than you originally thought, there are no polar bears in Antarctica. :worried:

9. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

^^ So much negativity! This is amazing, whether it's applicable to real life right now or not, the sizes they are talking about are ridiculous.
    I will be posting this article to my Course Group on Facebook, and i'm sure some of them will be as excited about it as me.
    As far as I can see too, this would mean faster access times too, surely if it's more dense, then there's less area to look for data? I don't really know about that sort of thing, so correct me if i'm wrong.

10. Phoenixlight

Phoenixlight What's a Dremel?

I wish they'd hurry up, I want a 1 petabyte 6GB/s HDD by next december!

11. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

kinda need a 100TB USB stick nowadays.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

This is IBM we are talking about. If they develop something, they use the tech.

13. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Even, if this particular design runs to a commercial dead-end, perhaps some of the concepts and techniques will still provide value in other designs.

14. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I think that was the joke - according to the article "antiferromagnets alternate between north-polarisation and south-polarisation" so PingCrosby's home made compass took him to the north pole instead of south.

15. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Thank god someone else apart from my psychiatrist understands me.

boiled_elephant likes this.
Tags: Add Tags