1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lords ask for input on broadband plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 20 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I wish they would stop talking and start doing...something!

If they can't get us good internet access to the home now, can we not "go Japanese" (by which I mean do something crazy) and get some bulk internet transfer sites opened up across the capital?

I am desperate/gagging for moar internets!

3. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Glad that the government actually asked people who know about the internet to advise them on the matter instead of doing things which quite clearly show how out-of-touch they are. Personally I'd like to see this advice come from independent parties (I.E. not ISPs), but considering what they're asking for, chances are only bigger ISPs like BT will have access to the metrics they need to make an informed decision.

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Gigabit (expandable to 10Gb) connections to every home in the country through fiber.

/thread.

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

once you take roadworks and labour expense into account - the equipment expense is pityful. surely more cost effective to just stick the fastest thing you have in place to avoid same situation in another 5 or so years

6. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Yeah, the government doesn't really care about any time lines greater than 5 years. That's generally a "We'll worry about it if we get re-elected" problem.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It doesn't matter what the connection speed's are like to be honest considering the main thing that is stopping my ISP from upping the speed's to a high level is the, peering to Europe and the Trans Atlantic Link.

It will cost around £70 Million to put a new Trans Atlantic Link in place, then you have the Peering companies such as Level 3 who charge the ISP's for there services unless the Goverment build's one that every ISP can use with a high speed connection.

It's all well and good saying give us a 300Mb+ connection or 1Gb+ connection but, if the bandwidth is not there from the Peering companies and the companie(s) that own the Trans Atlantic Link, then it would basically be useless because you will only get about 150Mb from any site outside of the UK.

Most sites will only give a Max of 100Mb download speed's.

What the Goverment need's to do is spend money on the likes of BT's exchanges and get the old copper cables replaced with new cables or get them to provide Fibre to each house.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That might be enough. As soon as 4K televisions become 'the norm' (which I doubt will take all that long, once they're available) bandwidth requirements for native resolution 60fps content will skyrocket.

So that's a reason not to do it?

I would take that as all the more reason to do it, so that when Peering companies and the Trans Atlantic Link do catch up, all the better. Besides, there are faster connections to continental Europe, Russia, China, Japan etc... lots of content comes from there, too.

I agree that the old copper cables need to be replaced with fibre-optics though.

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Not saying that there is no point in doing it, but all I am saying is that it's not just the home connection speed that need's to be improved.

I managed to test something the other day but I won't say how I did it, but I downloaded a file and it maxed the download speed at 16.2Mb and that is because the provider of that file doesn't offer a faster speed, and that is while someone in the house was gaming and someone else was streaming which had no effect on the speed of the download.

I'm lucky though because I have 100Mb for myself and no one else uses it, but for those who are on a slow speed that is where the money need's to be spent to bring them up to atleast 30Mb.

10. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

it annoys me that everyone fixates on the maximum speeds.
    its an easy way to ignore the minimum speeds i live in a 5 year old house in the centre of a large town and still get a max of only 3.5mb...
    there's no fibre coverage and its apparently BT's crappy old exchanges that are holding it down... I dont feel BT should be congratualted at all for providing a commonly accepted rubbish service that only still exists because they own all the phone lines.
    And lets face it, when parts of the country are still lacking basic cellular coverage... there isnt much hope of the Real average person seeing these speeds.

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

What happened with the trials where they laid fibre in sewer tunnels to achieve fftp. Surely this saves vastly on labour and roadwork costs. I'd personally look into giving all the money to virgin media to be mainly used to extend their network.

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Sick of hearing how the few that can get high speed are having their speeds increased.

And those irritating adverts saying sign up for our 50 meg connection or whatever, they should be illegal because it's misleading.

They should increase the base speed everywhere and not just keep increasing certain areas.

Hate waiting for stuff to download it gets right on my tits! :wallbash:

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It was mainly H20 that was doing that and iirc they went bust, but yeah for those on ADSL in areas where the minimum speed is quite slow then it would be a good thing for them.

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Why should it be illegal, for VM to quote those speed's when nearly all there customer's get those speed's, the likes of BT shouldn't be able to quote up to 20Mb considering most of there customers don't get above 3Mb.

There is nothing misleading about VM's adverts since they say only available in cabled areas.

Download speed is nothing unless the server can actually provide the download speed you have.

15. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Never mind what the Lords tell you.... I want to hear it from Lady Garden!

16. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

The minimum needs to be greater than 2Mbps by 2015. It needs to be at least 4Mbps preferably 10Mbps by 2015.

2Mbps is OK for a single user with occasional use, but imagine a family of 5 with all connected devices.

FTTC needs quicker and more widespread implementation.

As for previous comments about advertised speeds, nothing needs changing, though perhaps the marketing could include something alone the lines of "ADSL/2/2+ speed based on line length/condition". Either that or perhaps people need to read about what they are buying, which won't ever happen.

17. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Aaaaaand, here's your coat.

18. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Marketing should be made to put average user speed next to max.

19. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Tbh after getting upgraded to fibre, I cant actually tell any difference apart from when I'm downloading files. But this soon stops as the bandwidth gets throttled to something ridiculous. There's no point having everyone on fibre if the providers won't let the users use the speed for what will actually make a difference.

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Would be good, but that would bad for the likes of Sky and Talk Talk and the other non cable or Fibre providers.

Tags: Add Tags