1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel HD 4000 Investigation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 28 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Gusseteer

Gusseteer What's a Dremel?

There are a couple of references to a 2570K in the article.

Sorry for being pedantic.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

i would like to see the gamings tests run again with good high speed ram - its a well known that the A8 chips simply get better with faster system ram - so chuck in some 2133 and see better results!

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

More importrantly it should be noted that the mobile versions of Llano (and even Trinity) are somewhat crippled compared to their desktop counterparts due to much lower clock speeds (more so with Llano). In addition as you drop down the processor heirarchy the iGPU is even more crippled.

The same thing cannot be said for the HD4000 which only suffers a minor clockspeed reduction and remains fully intact right down to the lowest i3 entrant.

Factor in the CPU advantage Intel have (which is not even close when it comes to mobile parts) and things could prove relatively difficult for AMD in the mobile sector. The rumours of Haswell being a iGPU monster (all things relative of course) won't help either.

5. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Could someone put images? For image quality comparison? There's lots of people saying that Intel "cheats" in their drivers with lack of shadows, color, depth...
    That would be great to compare image quality too, it there is such a difference.

Thanks

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Llano is also only 45w TDP - that cannot be said for the intel chip which is nearly twice as much!

as for the differences between the HD 6550D and the HD 6620G , please.

the differennce is 166mhz , they are both 400:20:8 parts (as used in the A8-3550MX)

disppointed at the obvious PRO Intel bias; go and get a A8-3550MX and bench that and see the results.

7. Deders

Deders Modder

This, and do Intel optimise their drivers as new games come out?

8. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

/agreed

The F1 socket system is a fantastic for the price. Let AMD have this one, they kinda deserve it : )

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ah you mean like the i7 3610QM which is also a 45w part.....

All of the previous SB mobile parts barring the 2920/2940QXM also had a TDP of 45w or less.

The mobile version of Llano has a lower core clock (or to put it another way the desktop variant is clocked 50% faster) and a lower officially supported memory clock 1600MT/s vs 1866MT/s. Couple this with the much lower CPU core clock on the mobile Llano variants and you end up with a part that is much slower than the desktop variant.

With the Intel mobile parts the only thig that suffers is a slight shaving of the iGPU clock. Drop below a IVB i3 and things go a little pear shaped (HD2500 instead of the HD4000) but a i3 based IVB laptop will be nearly as potent gaming wise a i7 based desktop part.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

as do all previous AMD mobile chips

the intel chip you linked to (which btw isnt in channel in large quantities yet, and also isnt an i5 either) , is also a `crippled` version of the desktop version - as its only clocked at 2.3ghz;
    a moot point on the ram since the intel part you quoted `only` supports 1600mhz ram as well - a better comparison would be to use the best possible ram for the AMD kit - but that would show the gpu is even stronger than the latest Intel offering.

they are nearly as good because the GPU part is the bottleneck - and stuffing an i7 behind it doesnt allways help... and thats the one area (APU) where AMD are romping away -with the next gen AMD mobile kit sue soon , intel are still playing catchup

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Would also be interesting to see exactly how much more powerful a few discreet GPU cards would be at the same settings.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

The low to upper mid range is where AMD really shines, but then you have to give it to Intel once you throw in dedicated graphics whether it be Radeon or nVidia and go for more the mid-high range of things, Intel then takes it.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

toms have a relative diablo 3 review for gfx cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diablo-iii-performance-benchmark,3195-5.html

a bit of reading around the numbers sadly is needed as BT didnt use AA , but toms used low settings (still finding out the gpu load for low settings ) - IMO would place the tested AMD apu as amoungst the GT440/HD 6570 (funny that)

edit:

of interest is ram pricing - today , on scan , 2x4 corsair 1600 (9-9-9-24) is £39.46 , whereas 2x4 corsair 1833 (9-10-9-27) is £47.76

£8.30p difference , and +1 tRCD and +3 tRAS is more than made up by the 266mhz increase ;)

Last edited: 28 May 2012
  14. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Well, they're still ****. Nvidia has a long time ahead of themselves making money still.

The suggestions of the GPU going the way of the FPU a few years ago might be the most premature prediction in modern computing history.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

For Amd hardware sure

For intel hardware you just wasted £8

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

AMDs mobile side is bolstered by the recently launched A10s which are all low power (all less than 35w ) and quite handy.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/22932/1

A nice ultrabook fitted with one of these will do me, I have been well impressed with what my Brazo E450 can do even with rubbish CPU backup :) something with a bit more CPU back up will be nice and I wouldn't want to have to rely on Intel for driver support in games.

17. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Intels driver support for it's gpu's is legendary for all the wrong reasons (don;t hold your breath for a D3 patch :) - there's no doubt that HD4000 is a step in the right direction though.

Trinity will be a more suitable comparison though for latest tech comparisons.

More of a request than anything else - You guys know that World of Warcraft remains a fave of mine, it now has a raid finder function that would allow you to run in a 25man raid, maybe kill the 1st boss and report back the peak and avg FPS? Could help shape a future laptop purchase for some :)

18. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Is anyone using Virtu MVP with the HD4000 and a discreet card? I've not been able to get any non corrupt results from it. Starcraft 2 I could actually see my own mineral line, DotA 2 had some glitches and Diablo 3 just did run smoothly; what the eff, does anyone use this for anything other than benchmarks?

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

i did like the way D3 was added into the mix - although some battles in act 3 would be a heavier work load than act 1 :D

anand has a pretty good review of the new A10 and the new IB i7 - and , its a win for AMD - and actually looks reasonable for piledriver

20. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Wikipedia says that the unreleased i5 3475S and the i3 3225 will also have HD4000 graphics.

Tags: Add Tags