1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Western Digital announces Red NAS drive family

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 11 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Maybe I'll soon replace my Caviar Green inside my Synology :D

3. PlayLoud

PlayLoud What's a Dremel?

Hmm. Building a HTPC soon. Now I have to decide between Green and Red.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My recommendation? Buy a selection of drives from different vendors. I've seen plenty of NAS systems die when two or more drives have failed simultaneously - either due to a manufacturing defect in the drives or simply an unlucky roll on the bathtub curve. Spreading the risk is the best way: if you're mirroring, use one manufacturer for the master drive and another for the mirror.

Oh, and remember that RAID isn't a backup. That one bites a *lot* of people in the bum eventually.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

^^ and 90% of raid is really software run on the cpu anyway ;)

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

While it'll be interesting to see if there's any large performance difference I'm willing to bet pricing will dictate the success of these drives for more discerning buyers.

The Green drives of equal size can be had for up to $20 less than the given prices for the Red drives. If there's no real great benefit I can see people saving a bit by going with Greens anyway. If you're looking at both a NAS and backup for said NAS you could save enough money to buy an entire hard drive...

Looking at Newegg, 1TB Red is $109 as stated, 2TB is $129 being a bit less than stated, and 3TB is $179 again a bit less than stated. It should also be noted that these prices don't include the $7 shipping which the Green drives get for free.
    What are the chances of getting a NAS/home server How To/Tips and Tricks?

Harlequin likes this.
  7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Gareth? you up for it? would happily guinea pig it as i want to (re)build a home server :D

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd be willing to cover that - although it'd be based on Linux or BSD. I've never really trusted Windows as a server OS...

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Given the recent news about WHS being dropped and the replacement costing $400+ I think Linux and BSD (such as FreeNAS) are what most readers would be wanting to see anyway!

10. Gareth Halfacree

I've pitched it to the bossman, so watch this space.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Please include OpenMediaVault in any comparison, it is fantastic (coming from a ex-FreeNAS user).

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

+rep - cant wait tbh , ` eejuts guide to linux nas` is really what most people actually want ; a `how to turn an old pc into something useful again - for free`

and thats the sort of writing your awesome at :D

13. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Another vote for OpenMediaVault, it's as least as easy to install as XP, if not easier. Just pop a cd or USB key in, boot from it and follow the instructions.

14. ArthurB

ArthurB What's a Dremel?

One of the main advantages to the Red drives is that are designed to run continuously i.e. 24/7, whereas most consumer drives are not (typically 2,400 hours per year or 8 hours per day, 5 days per week).

15. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Oooh, Gareth, teach we poor Windows power users exactly how the hell you're supposed to compile and install BSD.

I've got a 1TB Green drive currently...not a big fan. I always feel like it's on the verge of failure, especially when it's put itself to sleep and takes forever to respond. When it does that, I just wait in dread to hear the "click...click....click". There's a firmware fix that stops it from putting itself to sleep after 5 seconds, but after I had all my important data on it, I didn't want to update for fear of bricking it.

For the minor difference in power, relatively, I'll stick with 'normal' 7200 rpm drives. Although I inadvertently recommended a WD A/V drive to a friend and he's perfectly happy with it.

I'm still wating for prices to come back down - it's way too painful to shell out $140 for a 2TB drive when I paid $80 for one a little more than a year ago. That did kind of tear it for me, though; prices have come down to the point where my next drive will be an SSD. When I checked Newegg for an 80GB (needed a cheap boot drive), it was $99.99. When I can pick up a 128GB SSD for not much more than that, HDDs start to become stupid for anything less than a TB to be used for mass storage.

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

In my opinion, WD Red drives are WD RE4-GP with following modifications :
    - no green sleep thingy (aka spindown after 8 seconds)
    - less warranty

I had bunch of WD Green drives to fail, but except one WD20EARX they all were the first WD20EARS drives (WD20EARS-00S, 4 platter version). All WD20EARS-00M (3 platter version) and all but one WD20EARX are working fine.

Sure, in future i will buy red drives probably for my fileserver, if they won't be stupidly overpriced. But if they will be more expensive than Blue, then i will just buy Blue drives. Seagate (and because of that Samsung too now) is banned in my house :D.

17. Gareth Halfacree

If you *really* want to learn how to compile it, I'll oblige, but have you ever compiled Windows? Here's a hint: I install BSD by inserting the CD into the optical drive and rebooting. Then I follow the on-screen prompts. Then I go and play on the PlayChoice while it installs. Ten or so minutes later (a pound's worth of PlayChoice time, typically): BSD.

David likes this.
  18. Westyfield2

Westyfield2 What's a Dremel?

"Until now, customers had to choose between using desktop or high-end server drives for their home or small office NAS systems – neither of which were both cost effective for consumer solutions and fully NAS compatible"

Hmm, wonder what's wrong with enterprise grade RE4? Time Limited Error Recovery on them should stop the RAID controller dumping them because they're unresponsive.

Actually, doesn't the RE4 stand for “RAID Edition”?

19. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Good to know - last time I looked into it, I couldn't find binaries of BSD (FreeBSD, as I recall), so I was left with attempting to compile it myself, and documentation was a bit lacking for someone who had never attempted to compile an OS. I'll have to check it out next time the Windows install on my server craps out.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Tags: Add Tags