1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dark Souls PC Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 15 Aug 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS FROM SOFTWARES FIRST EVER PC GAME OH GOD PLEASE DONT OVERHYPE THIS.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

did you read it?

The whole thing put me off buying it.

At first I was like: "Hey. Awesome. The game I missed on the PC that I really wanted to pick up is being made on PC! Which is freaking awesome coz that means it is possible going to be much better!"

But then I was like: "$*#%. P.O.S. I'm not buying till someone has confirmed whether it is playable."

And that is from reading the article.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lucky bugger! And where was my invite? :)

Interesting thoughts though. Dark Souls jutters a fair bit on console anyway (famously Blightown runs at single digit FPS). The feedback from other previews is that whilst the judders aren't gone, it does perform better on PC than it did on the consoles, but I guess if you've not played the console version asking for a comparison isn't going to help!

Two questions if you don't mind Joe:
    1) Was anyone able to play it with a keyboard and mouse, and did they comment on whether it was any good?
    2) Was it obvious the internal resolution is capped at 1024x720? As in, did it look particularly bad or was it OK to play up-close?

I'll buy it for sure, even though I only got the console version quite recently.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2012
  5. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

"and decapitated - and that's just off the top of my head"

I see what you did there! :p

6. TFSakon

TFSakon What's a Dremel?

Oh I wish they'd take their time, it would be pointless to have a half-baked barely playable version that required mods to get it up to spec on release.

7. Stefarooh

Stefarooh What's a Dremel?

This is getting more worrying and worrying as the relase date approaches. I would have been happy to sit with the bare bones graphic options but I run an MSI 670 I7 3610QM with aN Nvidia GTX 675m and 12gigs or ram and if this game hits framereate issues I am going to burst a few bloodvessels. This very well may end my pre-odering days and just sit out and wait for the envitable sales where I can pick the stuff up for $5 dollars of steam.

I am sorry but I couldnt give a rats ass if they have limited PC knowledge...either you seek help or you hold it back until its in a fitter state for release.

8. Stefarooh

Stefarooh What's a Dremel?

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's an interesting point this. Should we, as PC players, expect PC ports to be graphically better than the original console version, even if the game doesn't require it?

Dark Souls is not a game that relies on graphics (it's all about the art and design of the thing), and it certainly doesn't need any kind of graphical improvement, so I wonder why so many PC gamers have kicked off that the port doesn't have any kind of extra wizardry included?

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Probably because it is so barebones. No resoulution options means it will look off if your monitor resolution is higher than the games maximum. Framerate cap at 30 fps if true will look stuttery if you're used to playing at 60 fps all the time. Both things to my knowledge are really easy to implement to, removing the framerate cap would probably be removing one line of code.

11. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

If it fails they can just blame it on piracy ;p

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

As far as I know there are plenty of resolution options, it's just the internal framebuffer that's limited, but I'm hopeful Joe can shed some more like on how it looked to play.

I suspect there's a good reason for limiting the FPS (at least I bloody hope so!). I've heard other developers talk about capping framerates in order to maintain the physics calculations underneath. Apparently things can go squiffty with some implementations if you let the FPS run too fast. I guess we won't ever know for sure unless From tells us.

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah... true. But the thing is you expect that with the power of PC hardware, you will be able to smooth out any performance related woes.

The fact is though, it may end up worse!!! I have a PS3 so I could just play it on that... but I'd rather it was on my pc.

I may revisit and purchase on PS3, but if it is better on PC I'd rather that - especially if we are looking at 60fps, native @ 1080p and anti-aliasing... it is a no brainer. I'd even pay more for that, which would be one fo the points surely of a PC port?

14. rollo

rollo Modder

capped fps are usaully in relation to how the game is coded with physics and AI implementation.

Stuttery on a laptop isnt really a huge worry a beefy alienware means what exactly 560m sli gpus? or are we talking 7970 crossfire m gpus.

huge performance dif between them both have been sold by alienware in the last 12months.

crysis was the worst programed pc game of all time its still not really maxable out to this day.

id like to know what it runs like on a normal pc 560 ti graphics ect not on a beefy alienware laptop that doesnt tell us out really. as peoples may define beefy as alot different than others.

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'm pretty sure Crysis is max out-able nowadays. Unless you are talking about surround or eyefinity and other crazy resolutions. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/188 < and those results aren't the latest gen cards either.

Plus, stuttery at medium isn't exactly a good sign? I mean, unless of course the base gfx settings are those of the PS3... but from the tone of the article, I don't think there is much of a push being made for optimal gfx settings on powerful hardware.

These are extrapolations I know... almost wild conjecture when compared with the info we do know, but all the same, not positive for a PC version.

16. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Actually i'd say crysis was a better programmed game but it's just demanding resource wise. If it was poorly programmed you'd expect massive varaitions in framerate and low fps for what's presented neither of which is true.

I've never got why they choose to program a way where the fps affects the physics calculations. Surely this will just cause problems if in a few years time you come back to play it with newer hardware yet are still forced to play at a low fps. Kinda like if anyone has tried emulating old arcade games without a framecap and landed up with the a.i. moving at light speed.

17. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

In an interview with one of the lead developers he stated that the PC version will not receive any optimizations and blighttown will still be LAGTOWN, that made me shut my wallet. Still gonna buy the DLC on console when it comes out but the PC version won't really be any better as far as I know. This game rocks my socks though, I'm just a trophy or two away from having them all. New Game++++!!!

18. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I have to say, I'm too much of a fan to be put off! I guess there's always got to be someone who gets it regardless and reports on the status of things!

It's a truly amazing game and my fingers are crossed that some extra work will be put in before release or soon after in updates. From Software has really started using online updates more and more with their newer games like Dark Souls and Armored Core 5.

Also, for anyone really interested in playing but worried about the PC release: the new content is also coming to consoles in October.

Thanks for the link, really interesting article!

Challenge accepted. :D

20. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

I've already pre-ordered. Spent well over 500 hours on Dark Souls....over 1000 hours on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls combined. This is flat out the best RPG I've ever played in terms of gameplay and balance. Combat is amazing, the levels are challenging, and this game DOES NOT hold your hand. It is an old school rpg in its purest form and once you all start playing it....you won't care about consolified graphics or a crappy framerate in Blighttown (awesome area of the game btw).

For those of you playing....I will be invading you all so beware :)

Tags: Add Tags