1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Mini-ITX motherboard shootout

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 5 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Just a small typo on page 1 : "dinky little onboard 108.11 b/g/n card " - should be 802.11 i think :D.

And the CPU location on the ASRock board is actually the norm for Sandy/Ivy Bridge ITX boards, ASUS P8Z77-I and the upcoming EVGA Z77 ITX boards are the exception.

3. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

How tall is that VRM board compared to the rear I/O ports because I'm looking to build a computer that's in the old under-monitor style. As such I require a wide, deep but particularly short system. The closer to the three centimetres required of a dual slot GPU the better.

4. faugusztin

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

P8Z77-I? Practically the same height. It fits within the standard intel heatsink 'keep-out' area and mini-ITX spec.

6. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies, though that does look a bit tall as does the ASRock with that back panel audio section. Oh well, let the googling commence!

7. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

one issue ive got with the Z77I is if i fit it to my Lian Li PCQ25. The daughter board covers at least a half of the exhaust fan. from a design pov i would have put the daughter board at the bottom of the board just above the PCIE slot rather than at the top.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That would almost definitely infringe on the CPU socket keep-out area though :/ That's why the Z77 heatsink has to be so flat.

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The Asus board looks like it could be fun. The layout of the Asrock is crazy, though... I understand the limitations and difficulties on laying out a full featured ITX board, but SATA ports just there?

10. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I do not see any issue with the Asrock SATA for DIY or well thought cases :D. better on the edge of the board than just above the PCIe like on the Asus one (just like the USB headers too), easier to hide those fugly cables.

I really think it's easier to route and hide cables with the Asrock than with the Asus. Plus, here in France, it is 149€ vs 205€ ... the choice is easily made.

11. faugusztin

Actually, the biggest issue with P8Z77-I Deluxe is... The PCI-E socket release thingy in cases like Lian Li PC-Q08. You can't access it from bellow - it is the bottom of the case. You can't access it from the top - it is not the push down, but the push from the side lock, and unfortunately it is from the other side. You can't access it from the side - the card is in the way. In pictures :
    [​IMG]

Good luck removing the graphics card without removing the whole board at the same time :D.

@blacko: If PC-Q25 is not that much smaller compared to PC-Q08, then i think the top cooler got plenty of breathing space above the VRM board, see the picture above again.

12. GuilleAcoustic

What it the CPU heatsink you are using ?

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Thank's for the shoot out as I am thinking of building a small media pc, that is also capable of playing any game out there for lans using the Bit-Fenix Prodigy case fully watercooled because, of the massive amount of space available for radiators.

14. faugusztin

Noctua NH-L12. And no, it won't fit on the ASRock board with a graphics card.

15. GuilleAcoustic

What cpu are you using and what are the temp ? I'm considering a Lian Li PC-Q08 :D

16. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

17. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

18. GuilleAcoustic

I'm not a fan of this Asus. The chipset position is nice, but the SATA + USB header would be better on the edge of the board. The VRM daughter board is a nice feature, but involves issues with top fans on very small cases, which are not aimed at overclocking (so no use of that VRM board :D).

19. iajo

iajo What's a Dremel?

If i was looking to stick a 3570k 4-4.2ghz oc in a bitfenix prodigy with a 7950 and ssd am i going to run in to cooling issues? Dont particularly want to watercool the lot, could get a h80/h100 for cpu if air isnt substantial enough. Also with no drive cages i believe a 200mm fan fits the front of the case so i would think airflow would be decent.

Really hope we get more choice in this form factor soon particularly with mobos.

20. GuilleAcoustic

Too bad that DTX and mDTX aren't available for consumers.

Tags: Add Tags