1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mature content banned from Windows 8 Marketplace

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 12 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

thats just stupid -.-

3. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Good riddance. The majority of the adult content on the Windows Phone marketplace are lame apps spammed out by questionable developers so hopefully this will cut down on the amount of rubbish. Nothing annoyed me more than doing a search for something like 'Twitter' and getting results to Adult 'model photo' apps that have nothing to do with what I searched for. Rather like the Android Market back in the day. Google took a similar stance and it improved the market considerably.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

This news started after this article was shared:
    Worth the read to understand the threat a Microsoft Store brings.

5. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Windows 8 keeps getting better and better....

/sarcasm

Viva la Windows 7

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

This is the standard argument I hear against Windows 8 and it possibly making systems more closed. I'd say it's following suit by sounding silly and unrealistic.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

But why would you buy Skyrim on the store? You'd just buy it on Steam, due to the fact that it would (probably) be cheaper, and has the steam workshop integrated. The windows store is for angry birds and things like that, but it will be a long time before "proper" games move to the windows store.

Also, I believe that Skyrim is actually a 15, so would be allowed.

8. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Let's hope you are right, but recently didn't Steve Balmer said he wanted Microsoft to be more like Apple, in a letter to the shareholders? Mature content isn't allowed in Apple Store, is it?
    I personally don't like the idea of a walled garden, I can see the advantages for the average Joe, but you should have always the choice to avoid it legally if you want.
    Windows 8 still allows that to a degree, but Windows RT doesn't, and my main concern is that Windows RT is a good glimpse into the future, called Windows 9, running only Metro apps (no desktop mode) and locked down to the Windows Store.

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I disagree, I think Windows RT is nothing more than a relatively short-lived compromise that only exists because MS wanted Windows running on ARM. As soon as x86 platforms drop to similar price as ARM or ARM reaches similar performance levels as x86 (whichever comes first) I'd expect RT to disappear.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Anyone who thinks that Windows will lose the desktop altogether and stop allowing third-party distributed software should stop downing the shrooms. It's messing with their minds.

11. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

They're very INSANE, now I can see it really be a dud worst than WinME was!

12. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I hope you are right, I really do. However, the way Microsoft is acting, I think WinRT is here to stay, as well as ARM. Metro, if successful, is an excuse to lock everything down. WinRT tablets are an example of that, with Microsoft demanding them to be shipped with a locked boot-loader and forbidding "desktop" apps to be developed and/or installed for the ARM platform.
    The truth is, the ARM platform is cheaper, more efficient, and can attract more hardware/components manufactures, outside the circle of Intel/AMD/Via, and Microsoft will want those other companies to ship with Windows.
    When Office and IE mature enough on Metro, the desktop mode will die to Microsoft. My guess is that will happen in Windows 9.

Again, I hope you are right, but I think Microsoft will be doing that if given the chance.
    I think that in a few years (in the so called PC-Plus era) we'll be talking about "jailbreaking" Windows 9 powered PCs, that will ironically official stand for "Personalized Computers", according to Microsoft.

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Again I disagree. Metro isn't an excuse to lock everything down. ARM tablets being locked down are simply a by-product of what they currently are capable of. MS is clearly trying to provide a certain level of speed and fluidity when using WinRT and given the limited power of the ARM platform the easiest way to do that is to lock down on what can be run.

WinRT is, as you say, a way to get new manufacturers installing Windows on their products but I can't see anything that MS have done anything that would indicate WinRT is where they want to take Windows in the long term. Nor have I seen anyone put forward a credible argument as to why MS would want to do it. Why would MS want to get rid of the desktop? What would it achieve for them as a business interested in selling their software and making money?

14. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I thought the whole point of Win8 was to unify the platforms. Taking apps from your Win8 phone, to your tablet and to your desktop with a contestant experience. This makes very little sense.

Oh well, still have Steam I guess.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You really should read the article.
    Its not Skyrim being bought today in the Store, is a PEGI 18+ game having no where else to be bought if Microsoft doesnt change the "no mature content" policy and there is no longer a desktop in the future. Skyrim is just an example.
    Skyrim is PEGI 18+.
    I think Desktop will still be there in W9. Not sure on the next Windows, though.

16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

And why would there be no desktop in the future? What incentive is there for MS to remove the desktop from Windows? What financial gain would it bring to them? How would it enable them to sell more copies of Windows?

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

And the question that comes to my mind: how do they expect to stay in the business market without a desktop? There needs to be some way of installing and running third party applications for businesses (including government) to run their own software without dealing with the Marketplace. If Microsoft ever release a home use OS without a desktop they'll need to either continue support for an older version indefinitely (including license sales for any future business customers), or release a separate OS with one for such use, which some home users would no doubt use instead. I very strongly doubt Microsoft will ever make Marketplace applications the only route for software.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    20-30% of the Store sales.
    Microsoft may just receive more from the cut it will get from the Store than from the original sales of W8.
    Someone said the same thing for MS-DOS?

19. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Which is something they'll still get if the desktop remains.

Over a long enough period I'm sure they could earn more from the store. However that's still not an argument or reason for why MS would remove the desktop.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    MS-DOS is still here (kind of). Do you use it to run any program?
    Will you use Desktop to run any program in 2032?

Tags: Add Tags