1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe warns of critical Flash vulnerability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'm reading all this with the various different flash adverts going around the page. Way to make me paranoid, Bit.

3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Flashblock for Firefox is your friend.

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

3rd!! :D

5. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

flashblock is my savior. I even use it on Linux

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I wonder if it's even possible to have something which is as ubiquitous as flash with similar features but is much less open to exploits. Or is that just having cake and eating it too.

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

God I love you flashblock.

Grandpa just rang up before with continuous warning messages on every common page such as Ebay, asking him permission to run flash player. Could this have anything to do with it?

8. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

Uninstall. It's time flash and java was no more. Html5 all the way.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

There's no doubting the security cluster **** that is java and flash is up there too. But what happens when html 5 becomes equally ubiquitous. The security holes will probably start getting poked in it quite quickly too.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Every standard will come and go, they always do.

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if your using Chrome or Opera (and soon firefox) you can enable "Click to play" (under settings > adv > Content) or "Load Plug-in Only on demand" (tools > Pref > ADV > content) , that puts an Play icon on where the flash or Java object norm is (an side affect it also stops most ads from showing if they lack an static ad backup) i got an Play icon at the bottom of this forum right now (floating ad frame)

12. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Agreed. Flash is a necessary evil until youtube goes fully HTML5 (currently they're beta testing it). Once youtube is converted, the rest of the web won't take too long I'd imagine.

It's quite unbelievable how something as badly performing as flash is still the go-to plugin. It brings single-core laptops to their knees

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Been saying for two years allready, that Flash and Java needs to go in favour of HTML5. Nobody really needs Flash and Java anyways, as you can do most of the stuff with pure HTML5 and CSS. The only reason for Flash still being around is the heavily used FLV.
    Java is allready gone for the bigger part and only javascript is being used, but that doesn't require any PlugIns to begin with.

Hopefully youtube makes the transition to HTML5 sooner than later, as this will make Flash useless for the majority of users.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

There are still a lot of web games around that use flash and/or java though those could be replaced by webgl. Though I agree for many people flash has become nothing more than an annoying ad delivery system.

15. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

To be fair, the rest of you smashing Flash with the negative 'Ban' style hammer, you must remember 5-8 years ago it was a great piece of software that was used for a lot of things and we didnt exactly hate it then. If anything HTML5 is grown from the advantages of flash and java alike (in a way). And lets face it something that was used in a lot of applications and webpages is bound to be exploited at some point like EVERYTHING thats connected to the internet. HTML5 is not going to pretend like Mac and Apple nerds incorperated that they are invincible to flaws, viruses, exploits etc. As Humans and as everything above is designed by humans nothing is perfect from or by us. The fact they have addressed it is something rather than this being found 12 months later or something done about it at a far later date.

16. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Please do NOT flash in this weather as you will be left vulnerable due to the icy conditions, speaking as a professional flasher ( I was going to retire but thought I'd stick it out a while longer ) I know what I'm talking about.

17. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Everybody responsible for conceiving, developing and implementing Flash should be burned alive, hanged, shot, chopped to tiny little bits and then fed to the sharks.

It just get me really turned on when Flash is running [e.g.] router management. It is simply retarded idea on WS without Flash which was on purpose removed or never existed in the first place...

BTW: I hate Flash since first day I seen that crap.