1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Sony announces PlayStation 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Feb 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

"Sony also boasted about the "share" button, allowing players to instantly upload recent footage to social media sites."

It was hard to read the rest of the article after this, since I had to do it through a gigantic facepalm.

3. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

"share" button = FB and twatter spam of crappy luck shots and unedited footage. That will be the end of facebook for me as Microsoft will do the same thing now. SUCKS

4. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Hopefully there will be only a month or two of spam before Facebook or Sony make it possible to filter out the junk

5. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Will this suffer having 8 really low clocked cores? I assume that’s just to keep the power consumption as low as possible.

The "Share" button is just embarrassing, is this really what people want on their consoles? Didn’t get a Playstation 3 probably wont get this one but looks OK i suppose. Wonder how MS will match up with theirs? When is that rumored to be announced?

6. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

4th paragraph, last word. "contorller" (Or at least I assume that's a typo, but since I don't own a console anymore who knows, maybe that's what the cool kids are calling it nowadays :p)

Here's hoping that we'll see better quality PC ports now that the lowest common denominators are being updated hardware wise...

Last edited: 21 Feb 2013
  7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Agreed, I felt it was overdone and I can see it being overused. Meh, the masses will love it.

Biggest point for me was the new streaming to Vita. Looks interesting if it's pulled off right.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It was never a problem when it was included in Just Cause, made for some nice youtube plaback, bit more of an issue in Uncharted when first released as it did spam the entire game but they fixed it.

9. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Just read on EG that the system memory is GDDR5. So 8GB of GDDR5. That is pretty crazy.

10. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

As expected the PC crowd are out looking for reasons to hate it.

The PS3 already has facebook integration; that isn't new. My understanding is that the Share function is more about multiplayer gaming than social media, as per the 6th paragraph in the article. That is how it is being reported elsewhere anyway.

11. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Apparently the streaming is kinda like twitch streaming a lot of people do these days but it's all fully integrated so that is definitely a good social feature. I suspect that this will all be behind a pay wall. Online gaming will be free but these advanced sharing features will likely be part of the PS+ subscription.

Still curious about the price though, 8 GB of GDDR5 doesn't come cheap and I don't think Sony has the means to sell this console at a heavy loss.

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Yeah I think it was more of a share with other PS4 gamers.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

8GB of GDDR5 doesn't come cheap, but it becomes significantly cheaper when you order it in quantities of over 50,000,000 units. Sony will be able to leverage bulk buying on this one to bring prices way down.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

We're an elitist bunch of a**holes aren't we ;)

I don't hate it, quite like it, but not enough info to make a sound judgement yet.

Not surprised there's a lot of Diablo 3/Blizzard hate - D3 is a super hardcore bunch who were let down by D3 PC

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Kudos to Sony for conspiring to kill Facebook and Twitter with video spam - best news ever.

The PS4 will still be pants though. :p

16. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Grumpy old git also concurs that if you are in your teens, a SHARE button will make you wet your underware. If you older, it merely makes us grind our teeth in to powder.

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Probably the only thing that would stop me buying right away is lack of backwards compatibility, I have a huge gaming backlog on PS3, with PS3 launch I bought the odd PS3 title but mainly played old PS2 games I was catching up on, I wouldn't have this option so would probably be a while before I jump ship.

Don't have space for more boxes in my cabinet, it's one out, one in.

18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

This sounds pretty cool, the part where you can stream a game easily is quite cool, especially when a friend can join in. Also I have been increasingly using my ps3 as a media centre, so all the new features and power will make it much better for that use.

19. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The GPU part is really impressive - the quoted 1.8 teraflops figure would place its performance between a Radeon 7850 and 7870. Very comparable to a mid-range PC graphics card. The 8GB of GDDR5 also means we won't be stuck with half-assed low-res textures in games ported over from consoles, and the x86 design means a lot more common code between the two.

As a PC gamer with no interest in consoles, the PS4 should be a good thing overall for the games industry :)

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Tags: Add Tags