1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fujitsu boosts optical networks with ADSL tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

SO if I stick one of these fibre optics in my ear - will I hear the classic 56k modem handshake!!??

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No, silly.
    It's a optics cable you have to stick it in your eye.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

DO NOT LOOK INTO FUJITSU WITH REMAINING EYE.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

THE INTERNET CAME INTO MY EYES AND OUT OF MY NOSE HOLES.

The applications for this are immense. I hope it ends up being a simple drop in replacement for all the shiny FTTC cabinets that are hanging around on street corners.

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

The lasers are the drop in part. You still need line cards with 100gbit ports, which I might point out, are a bit hard to come by at the moment. Unless fijitsu can have this ratified as a proper Ethernet sfp standard (along the lines of 1000base-lx, 1000base-sx etc) then it's never going to be of much use, especially if the it's not compatible with existing 40/100gbit line cards.

And for those of you who think this will speed up fttn, or even ftth anytime soon.... lol.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Actually, the lasers are unmodified COTS parts designed for 10Gb/s transmission. Says so in the article. Which, of course, you read before commenting. In full.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

:hehe: <3

9. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"For home users, the system promises a potential boost for the growing number of fibre broadband services: current fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) systems could enjoy a tenfold boost to the cabinet to eliminate congestion"

Ooooh!!!!, sounds amazing, then you realise we'd have to rely on BT to actually fit this stuff into their cabinets..so, should be ready around 2020 if we're lucky.

10. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Well at least theres something that the companies have to upgrade us in 2 years time, even if the tech were available now. Although they screw us out of this tech now, at least we know our FTTC services are going to improve eventually and by a sizeable amount (even if not that described).
    Well done on fujitsu for research time and effort for this

11. play_boy_2000

On this side of the pond, a drop-in part generally refers to a generic, easy to acquire part that can be used in place of a more expensive custom part. How does the Queen's English define it?

12. Gareth Halfacree

That definition does not fit in this context: a drop-in replacement is exactly what it sounds like, a replacement part that requires only that the original part be removed and does not require any redesign work. An AMD A10-5800K is a drop-in replacement for an AMD A6-5400K, for example. The lasers, however, are not being replaced - hence that definition not fitting the context.

Re-read the article and what you wrote in reply, and insert "a generic, easy to acquire part that can be used in place of a more expensive custom part," see if your reply still makes sense in the context in which it was made. I posit it does not.

The drop-in part, in this case, is the modem Fujitsu has invented: it 'drops in' to a design that has a 10Gb/s transceiver and makes it a 100Gb/s transceiver. The laser is not a 'drop in' part, in either use of the phrase, because it's not being replaced at all - it's the same laser in both designs.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2013
  13. play_boy_2000

In any event, my point was that fijitsu has not created a drop in replacement for an optical ethernet transceiver. No doubt that the IEEE may want to integrate some of the technology into a proper standard, but that is years away, and will require new line card designs.