1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony i1 20-megapixel phone details leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 10 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I'd much rather have the hp one 4mp sensor, so the pics aren't all filled with noise., i bet the sony one is way more blurry too.

3. Meanmotion

Except the HTC One actually has rubbish image quality. Galaxy S4 wipes the floor with it.

4. t.y.wan

t.y.wan What's a Dremel?

With those spec, it's going to EXPENSIVE. and I really hope they don't screw up the software side, again...

5. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Glad i didn't buy the Xperia z now, don't get me wrong its still an impressive phone, but surely its going to irritate people who spent sizable money on the flagship Xperia z, only for Sony to release another flagship model 6 months later.

6. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Looks like the lineup is getting more interesting for me once my contracts up then. I was definitely going to plump for the new nexus, but now, i'm not so sure...

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Except the current Lumia 920 would probably out perform it and the new 928 due out in weeks would also put them all to bed.

Are we reviewing Smartphones now? So where's the Nokia Lumia 520 review as it was released today and you can pick one up for £99 PAYG, now that's a cheap droid killer right there!

8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Hooray for pointless features. 20MP on an APS-C sensor is approaching the boundary of usefulness, never mind a 1/2.5" sensor.

9. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Most cellphones have camera sensors developed/sold by sony themselves.

10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

As interesting as the rest of the specs are, what the hell is the point in a 20MP sensor in a phone? I'm annoyed enough with 8MP and having to resize everything multiple times. I'd much rather see a sensor with an amazing image quality than one which just packs more pixels.

I mean seriously, 20MP only makes sense really in the realm of DSLRs etc. where the lens and sensor sizes can actually handle that kind of resolution without the picture looking like it was produced by toddler using the spray tool in paint.

11. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

Yeah, huge problem... and the standard circa 1996 was best, love those postage stamp size holiday pics, doh! Takes 10 seconds to resize in Photoshop dude, and if you don't know how then start teaching yourself, like yesterday. It's 2013 man, you should just know this stuff as a matter of course, the way your grandpa knew how to hang a door, fix a leaky roof, or clear a blocked drain. While you're at it, try experimenting with image levels (ctrl+l), or Image>Adjustment>Levels...

Imo, people who bought the Xperia Z jumped in too early. I was seriously looking at it myself as a replacement for the iPhone4, but when you compare the Sony's TFT screen to the absolutely stunning, crystal clarity and vibrant colour reproduction of the One's IPS display, well, there's just no way.

Last edited: 11 May 2013
  12. Maki role

Wow that was a mature response. Thanks for the Photoshop lesson though, I probably needed that when I was what, 8 or something? I simply find it aggravating having to go through 100+ photos and resize them all so I can post them online. I absolutely hate it when people post full res pictures in their logs here, it actually prevents me from going into their projects. Why? My Internet can handle it fine, but I like to browse a lot of the time on my iPad. Seeing pictures resizing themselves for a good five minutes just puts me right off. That's why I always resize then link to the high-res one, makes for much easier reading.

20MP is purely a gimmick in a phone. A proper camera, no, but on something that can in no way fully capitalise on the resolution it is pointless, just makes handling/storing the photos more of a hassle.

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

You can use the Photoshop image processor to resize images in a batch. File>Scripts>image processor.

14. Maki role

Don't worry I understand that, it's more of the fact that you end up with 2/3/4 copies of the same image. That's just a pet peeve of mine, have the same issue with multiple compression quality images. Having a some in jpg, others as a vector file or png kinda gets to me, even when they're all neatly stacked in separate volumes for ease of navigation.

15. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

hopefully it is more than just an increase in megapixel count. most of all i want improved low light performance

16. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

true, the one doesn't have an impressive camera. but i don't think that the s4 wipes the floor compared to it.

17. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

You do realize you can use the camera settings to take higher or lower res images, right? I think you're just having a whine, personally.

18. fodder

fodder Minimodder

20MP will allow for some nifty tricks like a high speed multiple shot mode at 5mp etc.

The main concern for me would be Sony's approach to software - closed and poor update support.

19. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

You know those pixels don't come for free right? Cramming more pixels into the same tiny space isn't the automatic improvement you seem to think it is. Go look at Cannon or Nikon product pages for their top end DSLRs. They have sensors that are an order of magnitude larger than what you get in a phone. There is a reason few of them go above 24MP

20. Meanmotion

Tags: Add Tags