1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Former Valve staffers unveil CastAR

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 May 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Wouldn't this mean a further halving of frame rates?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From my understanding liquid-crystal shutter glasses only block your eye from seeing the image intended for the other eye, the projector is what displays the image so frame rate would depend on the projector.
    What i want to know is when we will be able to plug our selves into a game, after all our senses are nothing more than electrical impulse sent to our brains :hehe:

4. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

That's slightly misleading in the way it's phrased. I've changed it to simply say "the system allows..."

The point is that what users are seeing is their own projection not a 'universal' projection like in virtual reality systems that use TV screens or rear projection displays. Here several people can be in one reflective box/environment/holodeck and can be having their own unique experience of the virtual environment. There's the potential for some interference if multiple users are looking at the same spot but the combination of the retro-reflection and the timing on the shutter glasses should keep this to a minimum.

5. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I suspect that is the main reason for the retro-reflective surface and the head mounted projectors - the light from the projectors will be reflected back only in the direction it came from i.e. back to the user's eyes and not to anyone else's. If it is effective enough then there should be no limit to the number of simultaneous users.

This also means a much less powerful projector is required as very little light is wasted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroreflector

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

AH! I see now, Thanks Meanmotion and ashchap.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For anyone thinking "this looks familiar", this is essentially 1998's X'tal Vision HMD, without the hilariously large headset.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

OK, next question... How do they deal with convergence of the projectors? Do yyou need to be a very specific distance from the screen?

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

...not to mention focus!

10. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

Oculus Rift :)

then Logitech ChillStream edition can make an oculus rift with streams of air 2.0

11. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

PS: i caught the matrix snippet :)

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Sounds a little too complicated for the task they are trying to achieve. I'm thinking more along the lines of 3D glasses (ones with their own screens, not shutters) mounted with motion detection hardware. Then add a couple of cameras (also mounted on the glasses) to detect the LED object being held and moved by hand (i.e. the LED chopstick). Either way you're still going to have to plug the glasses into something for the game/video feed, but at least you eliminate the whole weird reflecto screeno gizmo. It's not like you would be walking around while wearing the device anyways.

Basically something like this but with motion sensing and cameras.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/personal-3d-viewer/hmz-t2

13. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Why bother with augmented reality right now?

Some of the indie developments coming from the oculus rift project are staggering to behold, in my eyes AR will be quickly superceded by Augmented VR, where with the use of external sensors your body is mapped in realtime with the avatar in the game/simulation.

AR definitely has it's place, be that as a HUD in a car, glasses etc, but for an immersive gaming experience AVR is definitely the way forward.

Yes, it's reclusive and limits "social" interaction... but come on! being trapped in Skyrim for 18 hours in full VR? you can't ask for more. (work safe material that is)