1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS4 controllers to be Windows PC compatible

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Excellent news! The DS3 was always a bit of a pain to get working.

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

It's about time Sony followed MS and supplied the PC gaming community a controller. I've been using the XBox 360 controller for years as PC alternatives just can't compete in my opinion. Now we have a choice...

5. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

Good news if M$ have said that they won't be prioritising driver support for the XB1 controller for Windows.

6. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

This is great news, I love the playstation controller layout but never liked any of the imitations that much to spend the $. Since I got a ps4 on pre-order I guess this will be my new gamepad for PC as well.

7. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

I hate that stupid xinput api. I have had an adapter for Playstation controllers for 10+ years that allowed ps1 and ps2 controllers of all types to work flawlessly with any game I wanted them to. Then suddenly over the past year newer games won't recognize any controllers through that adapter, or any of the other adapters I have, or anything that's not an xbox controller. I personally don't like the xbox controller and it sucks when I get a game on steam that says "full controller support" and then it only works with xbox controllers rather than any other controller I have that has worked for many years through many OS's and many many games.

Maybe I'll pick one up for use on the computer, if the prices aren't outrageous.

8. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Another sign of the impending convergence of consoles and pcs....? Could be some great gaming years ahead, if so.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

It baffles me that people complain about PC support for out dated console controllers when you can't use those controllers with current gen consoles. The DS3 issue is different and down to Sony, as for MS and XBox One controllers working with PCs, I am sure they will, maybe not from launch but if not then I am sure then soon after. They want a complete eco system after all, it would just be stupid if they didn't introduce PC support for the controllers.

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Theres a few 360 controller emulators that work just fine.

11. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

Actually I can. I have plugged the ps1/2 to usb adapter into my ps3 and used the older controllers to play games without issue. But besides that it's not just "out dated console controllers" the problem is that any controller, console or PC, that doesn't use their api either doesn't work well or at all. At least from what I've experienced and what I've read or heard from others on the matter.

They can have their ecosystem all they want, it doesn't bother me one bit, but do they need to do it to the detriment of people who don't want a part of it?

I'm sure they do work just fine but my point is they really shouldn't have to. The term "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. To me the controller situation was fine, most anything I plugged in was pretty much plug and play and any game that had controller support could use it. Then Microsoft decided they wanted to change it, in my opinion, without a valid reason. So I see it as they took away long time functionality and added zero benefit in return, thus "I hate that stupid xinput api" :D

12. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Still have as of yet to get my Original Xbox controller working under 7x64.

Works perfectly in Linux, OOB!

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Better late than never..

PC Drivers for the Xbox One Controller Now Available
    http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/

Tags: Add Tags