1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Western Digital Black2 Dual Drive Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 13 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Too expensive for what you get unfortunately. I'm sure if this sort of thing catches on then prices will ultimately come down, but by that point you'll probably be able to get a 1TB SSD for the same price anyway :p

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Wouldn't this be an ideal drive to slot in a Playstation 4....

Would the PS4 OS allow for seeing 2 drives on one disc or allow you to run the game you are currently playing on the SSD, whilst storing your other games on the 1TB HD?

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

TBH I prefer segregating my data from the O/S by using an SSD for boot, this drive lumps it all back onto the single physical device - lose a PCB and you lose two drives which makes the restore/recovery more onerous.

I just don't see the benefit for the price.

5. Meanmotion

The dual-drive capability is Windows only.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I don't think anyone would disagree with it being expensive, but most things are when their new.

As for dumping two drives onto one PCB, I can't imagine this drive being used in desktops where there's the space for multiple drives i.e. SSD boot, Mech storage and I doubt they're expecting it to. In a laptop it'd be ideal, SSD speeds for boot and 1TB mech for storage.

7. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

So no Linux support as of yet, right?

8. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Now that's what you call a properly accurate score! :)

9. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

For windows only? You don't have options for mac users also?

10. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

Saw that as well.
    70.5263157865% is in my opinion a more reasonable score however

11. Meanmotion

Ah, automated systems: gotta love 'em. For a more visually pleasing score I have corrected this, though I kinda wish we could do our score symbols for numbers that long.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Well I would certainly not get this drive and would prefer to get a separate SSD and then a 1TB USB3 external drive such as the WD My Passport.

120GB Samsung SSD (£77), 1TB WD My Passport (£59) = £136 (Saving £98)

250GB Samsung SSD (£150), 1TB WD My Passport (£59) = £209 (Saving £25)

Personally I would go for the second option.

13. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Agreed, I think that people are missing the point. I do wonder though why they don't partition a section of the SSD for use as a cache for the HDD and leave the rest as a seperate drive, i.e. 100GB SSD, 1TB HDD with a 20GB SSD Cache. That would seem to be the best of both worlds.

14. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Personally, I don't like anything that has a word 'Hybrid' in it. It's like saying its so close to real thing, but not.... And don't even get me stahttp://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=266545rted on vehicles.

15. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Newer Macs have better drives anyway. Say what you will about Apple (I personally dislike them), but the Fusion drives and all-PCIe SSDs are far superior to this.

16. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

well you do have Seagate 500-750GB-1TB (5400RPM-64MB-8GB) that have 8GB of flash that is used for boosting reads, they also have a 1-2TB desktop HDD as well (7200RPM-64MB-8GB)
    Toshiba have the same as well but only has 32MB cache but still has 8GB of flash to boost reads

the 2 above True hybrid drives are entended for laptops mainly but for the avg user or even normal use they are fast, you may say 8GB is not enought but for booting windows up, photoshop, office any browsers will all easy fit in that space, they only cost about £10-15 more then none hybrid drive and require no software to make them work

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think it is aimed at laptop users who don't want to carry extra external drives.

18. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I like WD drives, but now that it was revealed that they put NSA trojans on protected areas I'm not sure it's the best choice for a boot-SSD type.
    But for secondary drives it should be OK.

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you're of enough interest to the NSA for them to have diverted your new hard drive to a secret warehouse, installed spyware on it and then forwarded it on to you, then I'd suggest you have bigger problems to worry about than your boot drive.

You do know that they ship a couple of hundred million drives a year, and the NSA thing is not supported or endorsed by the affected manufacturers?

20. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Yeah because the NSA only is interested in the guilty of terrorism/spionage, there is NOTHING to suggest otherwise, except of course thousands of documents of evidence and hours of public statements.

As for the manufacturers not being involved.. they would say that wouldn't they. But it's US manufacturers, and I'm not sure you got it right that it is only on a few selected drives, I think you have it confused with the other stories on whole systems/laptops.

Tags: Add Tags