1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 9 Jun 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Another good review.

First up, at the top of page 1 you have the manufacturer link as Noctua instead of Be Quiet!

AS someone who has large hands, fiddly fitting mechanisms are a big no for me, no matter if I only fit it once or twice. Over the years I have lost count of the number of times I have shredded my fingers trying to get coolers to fit. Never again will I buy a cooler with a bad fitting mechanism, no matter how good the cooling. It amazes me how a company such as Be Quiet! hasn't moved on with the times in this.

I can't fault your views on its looks though; it's will look far better in a system than the Noctua. I despise their brown looks and have never bought their products because of this.

At this moment, for smaller builds, I'll stick with Corsair's all in one systems; they look good and are easy to install.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I agree with this! I was reminded of it recently when I had to re-fit a thermalright axp-140, only the second time i've had to fit it, the first time it remained fit for years and I imagine this time it will as well (is in my server) but yeah, horrible experience. I can't abide fiddly mountings, especially not when some companies make it so easy.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I thought it was easier to mount the Mobo to the cooler with these large Bequiet coolers???

...i.e, lay the cooler on it's roof on a table and line up the mobo and lower onto it, and tighten the nuts.

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Second page says "Noctua NH-D15 Review" along with the manufacturer link to Noctua as previously mentioned.

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Why would anyone in their right mind buy one of these fiddly to fit behemoths over an AIO water cooler?
    They are looking more and more like dinosaurs with every review.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Because they are cheaper and you know it will last for years and years without having to worry about when the pump will break or the coolant needing to be replaced?

8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Plus one to Fizzban. I replaced a H100 with a dark rock pro 2. It may be huge, but it is very quiet, and still allows for overclocking. And, there is zero worry about it ever leaking. I also think it looks nicer than the H100 did.

9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Personally I wouldn't trust a refubished one as the warranty period lasts just long enough for it to bust.

I see you point about easier install ect.., but to me I'd rather have a high-end air cooler than a low to mid-range AiO liquid cooler.

11. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

Certainly not quieter. Even having the same fans at the same rpm in both an aio and air cooler, you'll still have the pump noise and vibration from the liquid cooler. In my experience a high end air cooler is the better option if you really want silence.

12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I disagree with all your points.
    Another negative, strain on mobo.
    Also, any fan noise when CPU is under load is totally negated by my headphones.
    Other non intensive tasks are met with near silence from my current set up.
    I have a total of 6 fans all nicely under control.
    Stop living in the past and consign these blocks of scaffolding to the tech graveyard.

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Installing the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case is out of the question, but even once you've removed it, you'll be looking at a pretty fiddly half an hour or so dealing with four tiny nuts and a spanner along with a backplate and four mounting pins. Due to the coolers low height, getting the spanner to the nuts proved tedious and you'll need to remove some memory modules too. On LGA2011 this presented a bit of an issue - with the modules removed and the cooler fitted, we were then barely able to squeeze the modules back in under the cooler. To be on the safe side here, especially with LGA2011 systems, we strongly suggest using standard-height module

HAHAHAHA.
    Why put yourself through it.
    It is just totally unacceptable that they haven't or can't be bothered to sort out ease of fitting.

So so easy to fit an AIO in comparison and no checking to see if it hits your RAM.

14. alf-

alf- Minimodder

I actually own one of these, and as of now i am totally happy with it.

Before buying it i did toy with the idea of buying a AIO, but ultimately decided against it. My decision was based on every review mentioning that not only did it cool superbly, it did so with minium noise. Based on that critieria i cannot fault it.

As for fitting it, yeah it was a pain.
    I actually was able to mount it with the motherboard already in the case, i had another person help though, they held it in place whilst i fastened the bolts.
    And realistically i can't see me having to fit it again any time soon, so ultimately a bit of a hassle isn't that much of an issue.

15. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Each his own Alf and I'm not disputing the fine job it does.
    All the while it is pulling on your mobo and adding strain as it sits sideways on.
    I just think they have had their time and all things being equal, there are much better alternatives.
    I think sticking with a massive air cooler these days is more about heart ruling head because if it is massive and looks cool it must be better.
    Also, you had someone else to help you fit it; another tick in the negative box, another nail in the coffin.

16. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Coolers like these have existed for years and there are quite a few much heavier, so i'm not worried about strain on the board.
    If it was such and issue you would expect to hear a lot more other than the odd hearsay/anecdotal evidence.
    And its not like AIO are without their own horror stories.

If you can find me an alternative AIO I'm all ears. And by that I mean, find one that cools similarly and is as quiet doing so, all within the same price.

As for heart ruling, i cannot comment for others but i have no window on my case so i never see the thing. Heck i may have went for the noctua d15 if it was available at the time, and that thing is by comparison, hideous.

And I had someone help me because I had someone to help me, if i didn't, i would of fitted it by myself. And as i said, its something i might do once or twice throughout its life, so a bit of fuss is a none issue for me. Besides its not like all big coolers are a pain to fit.

17. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

I only made one point, not sure what the other points you're disagreeing with are..
    Who mentioned strain on the mobo? I was discussing noise output. And frankly strain on mobo doing any damage seems as likely as an aio bursting open and spraying liquid..

I'm glad your headphones work for you, but I'm sure you realise not everyone has the same usage scenario as you do. I stand by what I said, if your priorities are silence first followed by good cooling, your best option is a high end air cooler.

Bit seems to agree too, if you've read the review of the award winning NHd-15:
    "There's no whining or high-pitched hair dryer-type screaming that we're used to with many of the liquid coolers and the NH-D15 is all but inaudible when using the low noise adaptors."

18. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

19. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

'Bit' is still just another person with an opinion.
    Still disagree with all your claims based on my own experience of both types of cooler.

Tags: Add Tags