1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone DS380 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 17 Jul 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

First page:
    The rear of the case reveals it's fairly humble contruction

Contruction? ;)

[​IMG]
    That is possibly the messiest system build I've seen for a long time. Is there an utter lack of cable tidying ability with the case? The review says very limited, but is that meaning nothing?

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Where the cables are in that picture IS the cable tidying spot :). Or the small HDD bay next to the PSU.
    [​IMG]

4. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I tend to agree.

Still seems off to me, it is not a dead air spot, there are two fans opposite. The cables look very long and obstruct the 2 fans before the drive cages, surely best route the cables along the bottom and top of the case rather than in front of the fans?

Have been considering getting this to rehouse my hp microserver (plus rocketraid card for stacks of disks), I know it can take a DTX board but I worry the HP board is not standard layout, perhaps someone has some experience migrating their microserver board away from the original case?

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The cable tidying is nothing a few folds and some insulation tape can't fix but I do think that it is really bad for a case that costs over £100 to be this messy.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Sure, it can be made a bit better, but not much.

Take a look at different build :
    [​IMG]

Sure, looks much better. Except there is no hard drive, that means no SATA cable, no molex/SATA power cable. Once you put back the HDD bays, you need to connect it - that means bunch of SATA cables, few power/molex cables - and those cannot be hidden at all :
    [​IMG]

So while you can make a better cabling job, it really depends where your connectors are. The board used by bit-tech has the power, SATA and front panel connectors at worst possible spot for this case, even with the short cable set from Silverstone.

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Quite right. Fixed, ta!

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yep, the cable tidying ability is more tucking cables away than actual cable routing and I admit I haven't done a great job at the former here - my efforts were hampered somewhat by one of our flash guns catching fire mid way through the shoot so I was spending my time dousing flames rather than tidying up the system...

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Why the hell would I want 8 HDDs buzzing away next to me? I thought half the idea of a NAS is to put it somewhere out of earshot!

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This strikes me as the kind of thing you'd stick in the corner, behind the telly, serving as a HTPC and NAS server. That was quite a snakes nest though :lol: .

11. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Hmm, tidy cables properly or prevent burning the entire office down eh? Well, as excuses go that seems fair, although if the flash gun caught fire due to bad cabling then I would have thought you might have learned your lesson by now....

Tags: Add Tags