1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google ordered to pay $19M in-app purchase refund

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

That bloody Simpsons game...

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Doesn't say exactly how much they made from these accidental in-app purchases...

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And who ever said Europe has done nothing for us, i mean come on they recommended that Google stop using the word ‘free’ to describe free-to-play.

I bet that has Google running scared, just like recommending that we don't drink too much and eat our 5 a-day.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Underneath it all is the same problem as with the recent celeb nudes.

As less and less tech oriented people start using smartphones companies have to step up the supervision of what is being done with them, celebs being too ignorant to enable two step verification for iCould access and parents being too ignorant to not give a device that has their credit card details to their kids is really the same thing.

Either IT companies will have to go full on nanny state or start investing much more in user education.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I must be missing something here - since when is it's google's responsibility to watch what your children spend? Seriously, its stuff like this why I never intend to be a parent, or a company owner.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Didn't you know schmidtbag, Google is responsible for everything from children being able to see dirty pictures, too providing people with illegal software and everything in between.

Google is now the police of the internet.

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

19 Million? big woopie

Google paid only £11.6m in corporation tax in the UK in 2012, despite revenues of £506m, it can be disclosed.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I used to work in tech support for a major pc peripherals manufacturer, I have far too much first hand experience with just how clueless in regards to technology the average joe is.

Seriously, there are plenty of people out there who can't even tell you what version of windows is running on the pc they are sitting in front of without you giving step by step instructions on how to find out, do you really think people like that can be trusted with new technology like smartphones?

So someone has to take the initiative to educate them and who has the resources to do so? Governments and manufacturers, but the government is too incompetent, so that leaves by default the manufacturers.

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

This.
    Something i've been thinking for quite a while, there needs to be a "basic tech test" kind of like a driving test but for computers, smartphones and tablets that shows a basic level of competence before you're allowed one, how this could be implemented I have no idea but it needs to be done.

11. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Surely this is more the fault of parents giving their children a device that's linked to their credit card?

If they can't figure out the issue with that then they probably shouldn't have a smart phone nor a credit card....

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I get what you're saying, i really do. (No sir, i said right click) :hehe:

But i would counter with saying that it should be the person that educates themselves, ignorance of the law does not excuse and all that, doesn't the same apply throughout life ? we can't protect people from themselves.

Also i would say we learn more from our mistakes, people would soon learn not to give little johnny their tablet after they find out he just spent a load of their money in some game, harsh lesson to learn i know, but some lessons in life come with much higher costs.

13. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

I didn't even know the federal trade commission made in-app purchases! ;)

14. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

No. Anfield was spot on.

We have laws and rules and regulations for exactly the reason that people SHOULD be able to govern themselves but they are unable to, or unwilling to.

Seat belts.
    Serving alcohol to already drunk people.
    Illegal drug taking.
    Double yellow lines.
    Steam Guard protecting Steam accounts.
    Email verification.
    In fact, entering the email address twice because someone is bound to enter it wrong the first time on a submit form.
    Planning laws.
    Road laws.
    Speeding.
    Child protection.

No. We NEED protecting. Either from other people, or from ourselves. Sad fact of LIFE.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sure some rules and regulations are needed, but my point was how far do we go ?
    Should we be passing laws that protect people from financial harm, physical harm, mental harm.

Personally i would say protecting people from financial harm caused by there lack of knowledge is a step to far, should we refund that guy who got a parking fine because he didn't know he couldn't park there ?

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Thats why the educational approach should be tried first, then if that fails regulate.