1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HGST announces world's first 10TB hard drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

You can never have too much!

Cue jrs77 lecture on shrinking your data :D

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

D'you know what's crazy? When I was searching the CMS for related stories, up popped "Seagate hits 1.0TB" - from 2007. That was only seven years ago, and now we've (nearly) got drives ten times the size!

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

So at this rate we should have 100TB by 2021. Maybe sooner assuming no more future floods slow the process down. *crosses fingers*

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

20 Years ago most HDDs were in [low] single-digit GB territory...

6. Gareth Halfacree

The first hard drive I ever used was 4MB; the first hard drive I ever owned was 20MB. I dunno, you young whippersnappers with your fancy-schmancy 'gigglebytes.' T'ch! ;)

7. RedFlames

First PC game with a 1GB HDD, though i did have a PC with a mere 125MB...

EDIT: Technically my first computer didn't have a HDD at all, it was cassette tapes...

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Back then companies like nvidia also didn't throw 100+ MB at you when you downloaded a driver though, so its all relative.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Now you sound as bad as me on a bad day. :)

10. RedFlames

I remember having to buy a new [4GB] HDD because my 1GB couldn't acommodate Descent 3 and its 500MB install [there was a 'full' install option at 910MB too]...

... whereas now a game like Bioshock Infinite needs 42GB of space...

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Descent 3 was an amazing game. I never beat it (I think I was stuck on the Mercury level - I could never protect both myself and that cargo ship) but I'm disappointed a D4 was never released. IIRC, D3 wasn't all that popular because most people weren't able to play it. Even today the game doesn't look terrible. I tried playing the game a couple years ago when I found out they had a linux release for it.

But more on the note of the article - I've asked this before in a different article, but what will enterprises do about the helium inside these drives when they retire them?

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

turboloader on c64 tapes was a bitch, had to keep cleaning the tapeheads or it wouldn't work half the time

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

given that nothing holds helium forever, there is a good chance there won't be much helium left in them after a few years of use

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Paper "launch" wars - you won't be able to actually buy one of these for aaaaaaages

15. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Crazy, but not pace with Moore's law, which is in part why SSDs are starting to catch up.

7 years for 10x. If it was following Moore's law for transistors, we'd be at around 12-24TB today. Sure, it isn't necessarily SUPER far behind Moore's law, but it is behind and Flash is catching up in $ per GB as well as density per deployment volume and power consumption per accessible GB.

16. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

I remember buying my first 75 MB drive
    and thought man I will never fill this up.
    Now I have a 2.0TB drive and a1.5TB
    drive and they are getting very full.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Aaah... memories. :)

18. RedFlames

Optimisation is what you do when can't throw any more hardware at the problem...

19. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Pretty sure that when I built my first PC in 1993 they were still in the high MB range. I think I settled on 400 MB (I was a student with no support beyond my grant). Can't remember when I moved up to 1 GB :)

20. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

It is in part to do with the digital age we live in, not to be all nostalgic, but when I was a kid we had to buy a film for our camera, that was quite expensive, then you could only take 24 shots, then you had to pay and wait to have them printed. Now kids snap away on 13mp cameras with no worries about the quality of the pictures or where they're storing them. Music came on vinyl, cassette, or cd. Video was beta max or vhs. All of this stuff took up storage, it was just in different mediums. I don't know if I'd say that it was better though /tangent

Anyway, if you don't have to worry about the size of the files you create then you're bound to be complacent. I used to work with a coder who thought that everyone should be taught to make something fit on a floppy disk, I'm not really a coder, though in my opinion it would not be a bad thing to teach people who are new to it, after all the more efficient the code is the better.

That said I do need to buy a couple of large hdd's...