1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Enermax teases Liqmax II all-in-one coolers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Nov 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

It's been a while since I heard about other TIMS, I still use Artic Silver Ceramique (because it seems to do a decent job without setting set like cement).

I don't know how good "Dow Corning TC-5121 thermal transfer grease" but when I see that coolers are including thermal grease in the box, I am reminded of the crap that used to ship with coolers and can't help feeling that by shipping with said crap (assuming the TC-5121 is exactly that comparative to AS5 etc...), manufacturers continue to do their high performance products a disservice.

What TIM, if any, are the others shipping with - when bit-tech review the product, do they review with the supplied TIM or with a standard high performance TIM?

That being said - very lookie likey, so I look forward to seeing the review of this product

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Arctic Silver and the like are ickle-wickle consumer-facing brands; they're the companies you go to if you want 5ml of thermal grease. Dow Corning is a honkin' gert multinational; it's the company you go to if you want 500 gallons of thermal grease. The specs for TC-5121 are over here, and show a thermal conductivity (Lambda) of 2.5W/mK (which is nice and high, as you'd expect from thermally conductive grease.) Unfortunately, Arctic Silver prefer not to publish comparable figures for their products, instead relying on somewhat woolly promises like '2 to 10 degrees centigrade lower CPU full load core temperatures than standard thermal compounds or thermal pads' for Ceramique. Helpful(!) The rarely-reliable Pikiwedia suggests that silver-based thermal grease 'may have a conductivity of 3 to 8W/mK or more' (edited for formatting,) which is obviously higher than 2.5W/mK. Where AS5 sits on that spectrum, though, is anyone's guess.
    No idea; you'd have to ask a reviewer that!

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Going on the Wiki for AS5 they claim its 8.7 W/(m·K), although i cant find proof of that. Conversely the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory found that it was only 0.94 W/(m·K)

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Whenever I see "batwing" I can't help but think of Roger's Profanisaurus...