1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Parvum Systems X1.0 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 4 Feb 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I really like the look of these, and the materials quality looks very good. Plus I rather like the flat pack build-it-yourself nature, but there are too many shortcomings to justify that price tag, in my opinion.

You have to half-dismantle the chassis to change HDDs or graphics card?

No fan filters?

No CPU cut-out in the motherboard plate - I know the thinking is that the PSU is directly behind it so there is little point, but I disagree - remove a few screws and unplug the modular cables and you have free access to the rear of the CPU mount - a sight easier than removing the motherboard, especially when that means removing the graphics card and dismantling the case again.

Also - is it just an omission in the review or does it not support IO shields either?

Very distinctive and good looking but also very flawed, in my opinion.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2015
  3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Re: I/O shield, we don't test/photograph with them in as we get through so many cases they'd be bent and broken in fairly short order, plus our fingers would be mangled so this is an omission on our part!

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That's a fair point, thanks for clearing that up, Antony.

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

To expensive for what you get and need to build yourself. If it is aimed at water-cooling why not 'test' with watercooling? You're Bit-tech for crying out loud! The single most important breeding place of case modders in the world which most of them has watercooled rigs.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I know you say that OCUK are offering this case in a bundle with a 600W SFX PSU, but they're also doing a bundle with a 450W SFX PSU, which is £25 cheaper and should be more than sufficient for the sort of kit that's going to end up inside one of these cases.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

90% of people on here would see the ability to build the case themselves as a massive positive.

BTW: What is going on with the last pic? The one by the Conclusion?

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

@Parge: The clear window is a complete sheet and is still in place with the frame on the table and so you are seeing the reflection of the table and frame in the still in place clear acrylic sheet.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Repeat post. Sorry.

10. Combatus

Because we'd be dealving into all kinds of excessive granularity - this is the way we test all cases, even those that are designed to be water-cooling friendly. If we water-cooled them then every case would get very similar, if not identical results - there would be very little difference between a PC with a full-fat 240mm rad and one with two 480mm rads - that's just the way water-cooling goes and that's why no one else does it either. Likewise, we have no comparison numbers for testing cases with all-in-one liquid coolers so adding results here would be pointless - we have to think about compatibility and the fact of the matter is, not all cases support all-in-one liquid coolers but all of them support low profile coolers such as the one we've used here. Our test gear is indicative of what you could expect with air cooling and as we said in the review, the X1.0 could quite easily be used as an air-cooled case as well.

11. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

someone needs to make a viable alternative to vandal switches.

12. Combatus

Thanks bawjaws - I've added this bundle to the prices section. Wasn't aware there was a 450W bundle too but I did at least mention the cheaper SFX PSUs in the review ;)

13. Combatus

I agree with that - it's actually very rewarding building it yourself!

As SchizoFrog says, it's a shot with the side of the window section removed. Possibly some kind of optical illusion going on I'm not aware of that's confusion you!?

14. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Great little review and thanks for all the input. Indeed something other than vandal switches may be nice. The stock cases at OCUK actually come with a black aluminum switch. The sample for the review had a silver one.. not a big deal but definitely a game changer as far as how much it 'sticks out' etc.

As far as the performance goes it wasn't expected to get high with the air. This case was designed pretty much only for the use of an AIO 120mm cooler in the front with a big GPU on air. Other users have fully watercooled just the GPU or even both GPU & CPU. With the air setup we did not expect to see great temps here.

As far as a great little LAN rig the SFX PSU bundle is an awesome option.

Here are some photos of finished builds in the X1.0 so far, these really give you a better idea of the cases intent:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course if you have any questions about the little case let me know. I want to try and do a second build in the X1.0 this year so I will document. I'm very fond of watercooling just the GPU so may do that also.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As regards the lack of motherboard cut-out, I'm sure if you were drop Parvum an email and ask them they'd probably be able to knock up a replacement part for you with a cut-out factored in. That's the beauty of these cases - they're pretty much totally modular so you can swap out individual panels as you see fit, and as Parvum have their own CNC for cutting the acrylic themselves, they should be able to accomodate your individual requirements.

Of course, the case as reviewed is the "off-the-shelf" version, and a motherboard cut-out would be on my list of helpful features, but at least there's far greater scope with these cases for customisation than there might be with a standard metal box.

16. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

nice case...
    and nice buisness model. couple 5$ pieces of lasercut acrylic+intense promotion via modding comunity=100 quid case!

17. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks for the kind words about the case.

Business model dig however; pretty inaccurate. Try a CNC milled case, to include rebated holes for flush bolt heads, vbit/chamfer cuts for USB etc rather than laser.
    High quality Italian or German double matte acrylic. Far more expensive than gloss acrylic.
    Also take into account manufacturing it ourselves in the UK. Essex warehouse costs and staffing makes this case actually pretty reasonable at £100.

Sure we could look into outsourcing and having this produced in China but they don't even have access to this type of acrylic. We've checked...

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Every Parvum case or build I've seen has been gorgeous. Amazing work guys! :rock:

19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

^^^This many times over
    Brilliant to have something made in the UK and not outsourced abroad.
    The Acrylic is like noting else I have ever seen - no static!
    Added to that, personal service from Justin & Shaun which means you can have a custom build made easily.
    I'm embarrassed that it's been many months since my prototype ITX case arrived, and I am finally getting to work with it. Interesting to see that the aluminium graphics card holder has been dispensed with in the final version, very clean look.
    I will post pics...eventually.

20. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I'm sorry have I missed something here...

Your much anticipated über case design and entry to the UK market is being reviewed by bit-tech when???

Tags: Add Tags