1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EE demos 400Mb/s 4G+ at Wembley Stadium

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Feb 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Did you read the link you posted? I quote:
    (My emphasis).

December's release said that they'd tested things in the lab; today's piece is the first time the 400Mb/s 4G+ connectivity has been tested in a live, real-world scenario. Thus, news! :p

4. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

But its only demonstrated what they've already done, albeit at Wembley. As I said. Slow news day.

5. cps1974

cps1974 What's a Dremel?

I can only see the 1st post as trolling - nothing useful to say and saying it way too loud

6. Gareth Halfacree

I beg to differ. Proving interoperability in the lab (your December release) and demonstrating the technology working in a real-world environment on live devices (today's story) are very, very different things. Put it this way: after Intel proved tri-gate transistors worked in the lab, should the story have ended there? When Intel first started mass-producing tri-gate transistors - slow news day? When the first tri-gate processors hit retail - slow news day? When we were able to get our hands on one to test it for ourselves - slow news day?

Demonstrating 400Mb/s data transfer over a commercial carrier's public network in the wild is news, as is the fact that consumers won't get to use said 400Mb/s for themselves and will be limited to 150Mb/s - a fact completely missing from your December release. Another new (which is where 'news' comes from, if you were unaware) fact which you'll find in my piece and not in your December release: the Wembley test comes ahead of the 4G+ networking going live for public use late next month - it's not just a demonstration, it's an entire installation. News!
    Well, quite.

7. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I've yet to see anyone get the better of GH.
    No doubt GH may well recite a 7 year old forum post to correct me aswell. However I'm not stupid enough to argue back.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Too true. I have come foul from time to time and while I may take issue with the tone and disagree with certain stand points once in a while, I do very much appreciate being genuinely corrected rather than just being told that I am wrong.

9. Gareth Halfacree

YOU'RE WRONG!

(No, but seriously, I do try to be helpful as well as arsey. Although I'll readily admit I'm the latter, too.)

10. gosh

gosh Minimodder

so does this mean some of us in the north are getting reliable 3g ?

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Then we must try harder.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

For what? That 4G+ demo showed speeds sure sound nice, but 5G is supposed to start rolling out in 5 years time and will make 4G+ look like a Wheelbarrow compared to a Bugatti Veyron.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/31641296

So maybe its time to kill off investment into old tech and throw absolutely everything at making 5G actually happen (and nationwide).

13. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Now if only EE would stop calling me and trying to convince me that their BT rented internet at 70Mb is faster than my virgin media 152Mb internet, that would be great.