1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo opens the doors for mobile Mario

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Mar 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Do you think this has much to do with the poor Wii U sales, as a way of generating a bit more cash?

3. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

It'll be nice to see the number of good games for mobile finally reach into the double-digits.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Id buy a pokemon / mario /mario kart game on mobile.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

They will go the same way way Sega did! I doubt they will continue with hardware and just focus on making/licensing games for use on current platforms.

6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I just want Pokemon on my iPhone. Literally that's the only thing I'd want.

I am tempted to buy a 3DS to be able to play it but I'd rather have it at my fingertips.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Wii U and relatively poor software sales in general I'd bet. Certainly Nintendo sells boat loads of software, but if they were on mobile they could sell ten boat loads, a week.

8. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

I'm the same. Trouble with Pokemon on iOS is it will cut into their 3DS sales. Not sure it will ever happen. But yes I would happily pay normal price if they release it on mobile.
    I'm affriad we will ony get some crappy match3 pokemons games or super mario endless runner - stuff like that.

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I would never have bought a 3DS, but some mates bought me a 2DS for my birthday and I play it to and from work every day. Don't know what I did without it!

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

They should make a controller that all their games are specifically designed for.

11. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

Expect outrageous pricing, £10+ for anything worthwhile. If the prices they have on their estore are anything to go by!

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

If they release a SM64 port for iOS, I won't get anything done, ever again! :D

I realize that it only applies to new games, but still, it's probably going to cost me a few hours!

13. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

This. I remember convincing myself to buy my old Nintendo games again, then saw the prices. It made me laugh though. I just kept all my money. Which seems to be what a lot of people have done.

14. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

In the short-to-medium-term, mobile gaming is here to stay, with a massive reach over millions and millions of connected users. One of the premier games production companies over the last 30 years is going to see what they can do with it.

I find it, from a gamers perspective, very interesting. Either Nintendo will innovate the medium, as they have done in the past with console and hand-held gaming, resulting in a better experience (what's not to like), or Nintendo will just try to increase brand awareness, with the goal of attracting more users to its other products.

The announcement of the NX goes someway to demonstrating that there's no intention for the company to go third-party only just yet.

I'm hoping the NX will be a unified device, similar in form factor to a 3DS, with cellphone cabability built in, and full connectivity/integration to a home-based system.

If the 3DS had been given basic telephony function I'd have bought one instantly, and I'm sure millions of extra 8-13 year olds would have been screaming at their parents for one too.

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Nintendo are so late to the game it's shocking. The 3DS is a chunky device that isn't really needed with the amount of phones capable of decent game performance. Smartphones (pocketable slate devices) are here to stay and making a decent controller that your games are designed for and making it so other game devs can make games for it, so there is no setting up or configuration would be the most logical way to break into the market with a bang. Although I'm not holding my breath.

I just can't justify buying my son a 3DS or similar that only plays expensive premium cartridges, when I can give him my old smart phone and load it with all the games I have and get him new games he wants for a fraction of the price of cartridges. Especially when he chooses to play with the phone over the 3DS that his gran has for the grandchildren.