1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google founders form new parent company, Alphabet

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Aug 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm surprised this has hit the national news, unless I'm missing something isn't this little more than an accounting thing, maybe I'm just being dumb but I don't see the business they do changing just because they setup a parent company.

3. megamale

megamale Minimodder

IMO this is significant for two reasons:
    - As a public company, we can now tell which of the businesses is making and/or losing money. So far everything was aggregated so there was a bit of guesswork from the investment community.
    - They can more easily defend against accusations of anti-competitive behaviour. Stuff like favouring it's own products in search results. There has been quite a bit of scrutiny on this lately, particularly from the European Commission.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Have Major douts we will see any Alphabet products they will all be released under another name. BMW owns the .com website last I checked and Google can't even get a Twitter account in the name as that is taken.

Confused why they would do this restructure and not have the .com website address.