1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone Raven RVZ02 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 15 Oct 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh, that is FUGLY! Nice to see mITX cases pushing the envelope a bit more these days and trying different approaches, though :)

3. MSIRawZ

MSIRawZ MSI UK Rep

My next case for the living room, although I'd get the version w/o the window, not because of the lack of dust filters.. it just looks a bit fugly...

4. gosh

gosh Minimodder

out of interest, do pci-e extenders have any effect on performance ? always been curious about them, they seem a clever way of putting a hot and usually noisy component out of the way rather than the somewhat old-fashioned having it stick out of your board.

5. Dogbert666

Hven't tested it tbh but I highly doubt it!

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Absolutely none at all.

An unshielded riser longer than about 100mm-ish may introduce some instability in a very noise EM environment, but there won't be any sort of effect on bus speed unless your riser is physically broken.

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I can vouch for the fact that risers of a certain length DO indeed affect performance. I built a system with a 15cm unshielded riser and the performance hit was negligible (if at all - it was a while back).

I swapped it for a powered, but unshielded, 30cm riser and all I could get to was the Windows splash screen before the display went off. That was out of the box as well, trying to hold it vertical and away from EMI. Reverting back to the 15cm riser, inside the (cramped) box had no detrimental effect worth noting.

I've since seen some mods employing expensive shielded 3M risers of 30cm min, but these weren't completed builds so I've no idea if they worked or not.

8. gosh

gosh Minimodder

well i've always dreamt of a modern art-esque build of separate components in glass frames hung along a wall :S if a short 15cm riser won't cause problems might buy one and have a fiddle, at worst it'll let me re-orientate my graphics card for a slimmer case (like reviewed)

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The longer shielded risers like those from 3M, LiHeat, AmeriRack, etc all function perfectly well.
    Like I said, long unshielded risers have issues with EMI, but as long as the riser actually works there is no performance difference. There is no change in link bandwidth, or added latency (the handful of nanoseconds the path length is extended by is not even close to the integrated clock width of the PCIe 3.0 bus).

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

This is the bit I didn't understand on my build though - holding the riser straight up vertically to test surely should have got rid of EMI since it was nowhere near the board or other components; and the fact it was powered should have boosted the signal (so I was told).

I have recently grabbed a roll of aluminium tape, so might try again with that long riser after wrapping it up.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Powering the riser does nothing for the signal itself, it just means that cards that expect to use the 75W of power available from the PCIe bus get that power.
    EMI is not just en issue from external devices (and merely holding the riser a bit further away will do little for background EMI), but for the differential pairs themselves causing mutual interference (termed 'crosstalk').
    Retrofitting shielding to an unshielded riser probably won't work too well (note that 1-2 fps difference in testing is well within test-to-test variance).

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Late to the party, but wouldn't dust filters massively affect a passive case?

13. Dogbert666

Perhaps, but they're offered on the non-windowed version. Would be interesting to compare results.

Tags: Add Tags