1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Synology DS216play Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 26 Oct 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

So I need a NAS...

Would this "budget" NAS good for,
    1. Store RAID-1 media backup securely? Meaning, what's the failure rate of these boxes?
    2. Can I stream media to, say, my Chromecast? Ie. act as a media server for my videos MKV or AVI? 1080 is good enough.
    3. Does it have cloud-backup, and does one really need it?
    4. Can I access my media remotely? A buddy demo'd his QNAP remote access and he's browsing his photos from other side of the continent with noticeably no lag (Calgary to Ottawa). That was awesome.

Last time I have a.. "NAS".... was a linux box quickly thrown together in a cheap $300 PC with 4+ hard-drives running RAID-5. It was OK, but streaming HD videos was nigh-impossible, and managing shared permissions with Windows was a nightmare.

Then I switched to an WD MyBook 3TB and it works "well". Until it died. Last week. 3TB of data. Gone. Toasted.

Me sad.

So I need to find a replacement and trying to secure enough budget for a "real" NAS...

Thanks.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Really? I've streamed 1080p video from a USB hard drive (well, a pair of USB hard drives in a Btrfs mirror) connected to a Raspberry Pi (the original, single-core 256MB version) without a hitch.

4. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Entry level and budget you say?

I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OIP57YW?keywords=ds1815&qid=1445884936&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

With 8 of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Desktop-dri...TF8&qid=1445885030&sr=8-1&keywords=6tb+hdd+wd

Runs on RAID 6 so 2 drives can fail and data will still be intact. Gives a usable 32.6TB (why 6TB drives are advertised as that when they are only 5.5tb formatted!), hopefully will last me a few a years, currently at 23.6% full.

But anyway.... if the NAS above is running the Synology DSM 5.2 software (which I think it does) then, it will be great!

5. Redbeaver

This was many many moons ago. Basically it was aging. Not a bad hardware though. Geforce 3 Ti.

6. Redbeaver

7. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Depends on your budget :lol:

I was only going to spend 800 or so on a NAS including drives, but soon changed my mind when I realised that it would take 6TB drives?! I was nuts to spend that kind of money on a NAS but like I said, it should last me 5 years without any drive failures (hopefully). Also added an extra 4gb of RAM.

With Synology DSM you can run all kinds of programs as it is a Linux Distro.

Have a look here: https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector will help you make a decision :)

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Me sad as all those points are answered in the review and links with it :/

9. Redbeaver

After reading BT's full review of 216 and that QNAP article last week, I skipped your article to the conclusion. Sorry.

But seems like it's a good purchase for what I need?

Tags: Add Tags