1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft cancels OneDrive unlimited storage offer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Nov 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

fair enough

3. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

:duh: what did they think was going to happen?

4. ----jimbo----

----jimbo---- What's a Dremel?

Yeah fair enough. 75TB for single user's is pretty extreme. Shame as 1TB is a bit low, I'd have liked 2TB, that's a very reasonable amount for photo's, documents and some music for streaming.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe they thought when they said unlimited storage that people wouldn't take them at their word, either that or the unlimited storage offer was nothing more than a marketing ploy, a marketing ploy that seems to have worked wonders what with the amount of Office 365 subscribers doubling in the last year, or am i just being cynical. :)

6. John_T

John_T Minimodder

75TB???

Ye Gods, that's insane!

7. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Just did a quick check: If you wanted 75TB of formatted storage yourself you'd need 82.46TB of unformatted disc space. So basically 16 x 5TB drives and 1 x 3TB drive.

If you bought WD Red drives from Scan that would be:
    16 x £165 + 1 x £90 = £2,730

Knocking on for three grand! Or in other language, completely and utterly taking the p*ss...

8. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

They wouldn't be using WD reds either, so add another 0 onto the end of that number, maybe another 0 for SSD caching they are probably doing to keep it feeling snappy (editing docs etc).

9. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Don't forget about backups too. Every cloud solution needs to have forms of backup and redundancy in case of hardware failure etc. So pretty much double that cost, not to mention the supporting hardware needed to host the drives and manage the data and whatnot.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Offering unlimited storage was either very short-sighted or a temporary marketing ploy.
    It's "unlimited", so why wouldn't some people use it for vast amounts of online storage? It's not "unlimited (unless you uses lots, then it's kinda limited, I mean don't be silly about it, er, we'll get back to you)".

1TB is undoubtedly a lot of online storage, but I can imagine some people being disappointed. The unlimited offer implied you could backup your whole system without worrying about space, and a lot of people's systems, while well under 75TB, are over 1TB.

On that note, how does this affect people that paid for a year of 365 under the impression it would be unlimited?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Anyone using more than 1TB of data will get a twelve-month grace period - so you'll get "unlimited" for the length of your one-year subscription and then some more, unless you picked up your subscription minutes before the announcement in which case you'll get it for almost exactly the length of your subscription.

12. Glix

What about under the EU sales regs though? Do they apply to this?

13. Gareth Halfacree

If you bought a >12 month contract, yes. (Can you buy a >12 month contract? I haven't looked; as far as I know, "annual" is the longest option available.) If you bought a =<12 month contract, no, 'cos you'll be getting your unlimited storage for the full length of the contract - i.e. you're getting exactly what you paid for, you just can't keep getting it when it's time to renew.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As a user of OneDrive, this is annoying... However I was never sold it as 'unlimited' more 'unlimited*' [well TBH I was never sold it in the first place it just got tacked on to my 365 sub]

*we say unlimited, but we've capped it at 10TB because 'Fair Use' and other fine-print...

That said, imo the new limits are a little low.

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

While I can understand them not wanting people to store that much, it sucks that my 30GBs of default storage will drop to 5GBs. That's, annoyingly, not enough for my photos.

16. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Somebody must actually have at least this much storage locally too!

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The **** are people putting on onedrive to use that much space?

I've got my phone, home PC, work PC, work laptop, all hooked up to it on a 50gb plan with 23gb of 'freebies' and I've still got ~50gb available.

18. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

47TB and counting.....

19. techmonster

techmonster What's a Dremel?

75 TB , i don't think somebody ever used all that space to keep data. In my opinion the number 75TB is just be used as a commercial rather than using other soft wares or even hardwares, they just encouraging to use their products. Think for a sec why a huge number like 75TB for a single person !!!

20. Glix

As a guy above said, he uses it for his photos. Must be using Raw format if he needs that much.
    There could be people using for hosting their Event photos as professional photographers for example.

They don't need to hold 75TB locally, they must have been just adding to it. :hip: