1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ASRock first to enable non-K base clock overclocking

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Dec 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Oh no not a disabled IGP!

In all seriousness, this is pretty cool. I wonder if this works for locked Xeons too.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

If this is possible, I am wondering what took the MB makers so long to implement it?
    Also it would be good to get a full run down of the levels of comparison... Can you get even higher overclocks with 'K' models with a combination of overclocking settings? Do the standard chips overclock to the same levels as the 'K' versions or even higher using this setting?...

This subject raises a LOT of questions...

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I was thinking the same thing, but given my experience with unlocked CPUs, I'm guessing the answer is no, K series won't achieve higher overclocks (at least not much beyond 100MHz).

When it comes to overclocking, as long as you have the final frequencies of the northbridge, RAM, and PCIe bus equal to or below their default speeds, the only limitation to overclocking is the CPU itself. That being said, in theory, you should be able to achieve the same overclock with BLCK as you can with an unlocked multiplier.

Unlocked multipliers made life SO much easier. All you had to do was increment the multiplier, tweak the voltage, and then you were done. Makes overclocking hardly worth gloating about, since it takes no skill to do it.

I may be wrong though - I haven't overclocked an Intel system since Core2.

5. cdb

cdb No comment

I wonder how long before Intel say "Stop it!!"

6. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

That mobo is a bit expensive. I think you might be better off just getting a K series and a cheaper mobo, and save yourself some hassle in the process.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It will be unlocked on cheaper boards later. Us overclockers just had to get a good board to prove a point first. ;)

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I wonder if this will 'force' Intel to improve the Skylake revision or even the Canonlake processors? I mean, why would you buy those if their performance is only slightly better than these Skylakes at stock and then even non-K versions can gain up to a 1GHz boost?

I am also surprised that others haven't jumped in about AMD being even worse off than they were...

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

AMD are even worse off now, than they were...