1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design Core 500 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 14 Dec 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Looks good for a NAS box?

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Looks like a carbon copy of the cooler master elite 130 I used last year to build my mother a new system. As a side note, I'd love to see the previous top 3 coolest mini itx cases retested with BT's new hardware, just to compare to the newer stuff, I don't remember the bitfenix prodigy ever being bettered.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Bravo, a case this small and all the intakes have dust filters, Chapeau. :thumb:

Do I see it correctly that this baby can actually fir a Macho Rev.B?

Is it just the picture (the one with the GTX980 facing outward) or is your test mobo bent?

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I thought the graphics card looked to be on an angle too.

Will there be a define version ?

6. ajfsound

ajfsound Minimodder

Does anyone know what the noise levels are like for this case or other mini ITX cases? It's one of my reservations in taking the plunge into this spec (which is otherwise very attractive) and so it'd be great if this info could be included in the review.

I'm concerned that: small form factors = more fan noise. I'm not sure to what degree this is experienced though in everyday tasks + gaming.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, at least the GPU-fans are right behind the intake, so noise should be comparable to running the graphics card open.
    The open top will let all the noise from the CPU-fan out.

While you could block the top-vent (the CPU-cooler would then draw air from the front) closing the GPU-vent would likely cause problems, as there is next to no room for the GPU to draw air from somewhere else.

That said, using a "silent" tower cooler (generous space is available) and a semi-passive GPU should give you a pretty silent system for browsing and office, only ramping up when gaming.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The Mobo is indeed bent. This is mainly due to the pressure point for the PCi-e slot vs were the stand off point is located. Same thing happens to a degree in my 250D.

9. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

So Fractal didn't produce the Array cases before these then, thus cheapening out this 3rd gen. product to bargain basement levels ?
    The Array II was a Lian Li derived product if I'm not mistaken and cost Lian Li prices too.
    This product is confused, huge ATX PSU and CPU cooler prioritised, when power efficiency is only ever going to improve.

The Array II can take a 140mm AIO cooler, 6x 3.5 HDD's plus an SSD and still have spare room, due to it's SFX PSU. ( Mine has its HDD cage modified to clear a GTX 960 for it's HDMI 2.0 output.)

Poor effort by a once cool company. IMHO.

dunx

P.S. Only plus point being the dust filters...... I may buy one and steal them !

Tags: Add Tags