1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus VR to open Rift pre-orders tomorrow

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Jan 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

Wooo their goes the christmas bonus >_<

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I think if it's more expensive than the developer version, it might really hurt sales for Oculus - especially if the other VR announcements due at CES this week come in considerably cheaper.

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

It's ok, you'll get the subsidised Facebook freemium edition. Comes with 3 hours of adverts for every 1 hour of use.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Wired are reporting that anyone who backed the 2012 Kickstarter at $275 or more (to get a DK1), will receive a special "Kickstarter Edition" CV1 free!

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Other VR announcements? Like Vive? Palmer has already stated that first gen VR won't sell to the masses as the cost will be higher. It won't be insanely priced like Sony's dated HMZ series though at £1300. Palmer really is bringing affordable VR but people seem oblivious to the VR history and pre-oculus prices.

7. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Boring facile regurgitation.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The Vive and the Rift are the only serious contenders at this point, and the Vive is all but confirmed to cost more.

Yawn.

That's absolutely true - and awesome of them to do.

9. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

So going to preorder tomorrow.

10. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Just wait. You really think Zuck is hedging his bets on Oculus making profits from hardware sales?

As for facile, I am loving that you're all so obsessed with what will amount to another gimmick. Peripheral vision is highly under-rated.

11. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Can't wait. I already love my DK2. Will be pre-ordering.

12. springbok82

springbok82 What's a Dremel?

I had the DK2 for over a month just to try it out and, while it did blow me away in some aspects, I cannot get over the fact that I feel like I'm looking at a world through diving goggles. If they cannot widen the view to cover peripheral vision, then the immersion is... just not what it should be. I was so excited about the idea of VR that it took me a while to admit that it wasn't absolutely amazing.

Having said that, I really enjoyed my time with it and hope CV2 will somehow break this barrier. CV3 can bring in smell and taste. XD.

13. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Well, after thinking about pre-ordering this for months, being prepared to pay around £350 for it. I am actually shocked at the final price. £499 on the store page. That does NOT include shipping, and has an estimated delivery date of May.

I think they have made a really big mistake with this price point, I consider myself quite reckless when buying technology. But I cannot spend that sort of money on this. It is simply way too much, it is going to put a huge amount of people off.

I knew facebooks involvement would mess this up. Time to order my google cardboard lenses from ebay

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

£499 are they having a laugh? I know development is/was expensive, but you want as many people buying as possible so that the platform can take off. Sell at a loss at first if you have to, then make up the money later.

The only people who play games that can afford this sell drugs. Anyone else with that sort of disposable income has other commitments and responsibilitys.

15. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Balls :sigh:

I was hoping for the £350 price point too, it was just on the right side of too much money. £500 is affordable but I couldn't justify it, it's not like it's a permanent monitor replacement either.

They could of at least sold pre-orders at a heavily reduced price with a price rise after release date.

16. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Yea, comes to £530 with shipping.

I have actually pre-ordered though for a few reasons.
    The estimated delivery date is now MAY, this will give me 2 months from when the first people get it to when I get it. So I can read the reviews on the released unit and see if it is really worth the cost. if not then I can simply cancel the pre-order and get a full refund.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Facebook are not a hardware company they can not afford to sell at a loss like consoles are. Shareholders would go nuts at them.

Price is what I thought it would be for months in the posts on this forums. £350 was always to cheap to be realistic, more so after Sony said it there's would be ps4 launch price or above. Sony can afford to sell at cost or a loss and still be in business.

VIVE will be at least £600.

Rift + touch controllers will be a similar cost.

You want VR your paying for it.

Next year when the second version is out might be £50 less and reduced like that for the next few years till its affordable.

You need a £1000 PC to run it at minimum settings. Easily double that for full eyecandy. Don't see the issue myself.

18. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Insane prices and they claim it's 'at cost', yeah right. And it doesn't even have their VR controller? They are a big joke. And if the competition also hits that price point VR is the new 3D TV... hip for a second then killed off for the larger public.
    And that after years of delays.