1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Maximus VIII Formula Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 12 Jan 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Crazy fast, crazy features, crazy price = Near perfection.

3. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

I'm waiting for the white version. ;-)

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

5. Combatus

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ouch! I sure didn't miss that price. Sticks out like a like where's wally at a fugees gig. It sure is pretty though. Shame they didn't also light up the Maximus viii logo above the rear io.

7. Ryan5508

Ryan5508 What's a Dremel?

How are the led connected on the mobo? I just received mine and the formula logo is different then the rest of the board expect for when its yellow/red. Just wondering if this is something I can fix on my own or not.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'd just RMA it if it means that much to you. They're controlled via software, so perhaps there's a slight fault somewhere.

9. Combatus

If it's not showing up in some colours but it is in others then there's not a lot you can do other than RMA - sounds like part of the LED is defective - although you say different, so do you mean it's illuminated but in a different colour? All the LEDs are connected to headers on the motherboard under the shroud.

10. Ryan5508

In the aura software its just one color wheel for the entire board.
    So when I change it to say purple everything is purple except for the formula logo is red.
    When I do blue the logo is green
    When I do white the logo is yellow
    Red and yellow work as intended

I really don't want to rma it after installing all my water cooling. especially after I slightly scratched the rog armor around the ek blocks. I did a closer inspection and the leds are directly on the board. I was hoping for a plug that went into the armor itself.

On that note-You do need to be careful with your fitting choice since the ek block is not level with the rog armor. there is a slight indentation that will not allow a perfect seal with 90 deg rotary fitting.

11. Ryan5508

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Lovely board. I currently have Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1 Wi-Fi BK with 4770K and I am itching to go Z170 and use the Intel 750 NVMe 2.5 SSD drive. The question is: Is it worth it or should I just wait for new Intel platform that summer/fall? I have always liked Maximus Formula boards.

13. ericepp

ericepp What's a Dremel?

Perhaps the Header connectors need to be transposed. Is there a connector for the leds behind the cover that you can flip around the opposite way? I am not an expert on this; merely offering an idea.

Tags: Add Tags