1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 15 Jan 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I love how there's a sect of game devs that are openly embracing the idea of "make the game HARD". It's so refreshing. However, it's a risky move as it alienates the casual gamer.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Heh. Most games that can stay with me at least quarter way, it's going to find my heart. At least in my case.

Good honest review. Will grab it.

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I really enjoy Rick's game reviews. More please!

I hadn't heard much about this game beyond its name, but I'm tempted to try it out now.

Same here. I think it may be easy to overestimate how it affects the casual gamer though. I'm of the view that developers have been pandering to casual gamers for the past decade or so far more than they used to, under the assumption that casual gamers won't keep buying their games. It even affects the MMO market these days, of all things.

I'm not so sure that it's a valid assumption. As a kid I was casual in my approach to games but hardcore in the amount of time I'd spend on them - but I still dove headfirst into games that would be considered offputting to casuals by today's standards. The challenge was part of the wonder and lasting appeal for me. Baldur's Gate was by no means casual friendly but it's still beloved, for instance.

Now as an adult with a full-time job, I'm hardcore in my approach to games but slightly-less-hardcore in the amount of time I can spend on them - And I still relish hardcore games. I don't think I'm the only one there by a long shot.

I like to think that the resurgence in popularity of 'difficult'/hardcore games such as Dark Souls, Bloodborne and even punishing ARPGs like Path of Exile is a sign that some developers are finally re-realising that not everything needs to be easily completed to be a success.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2016
  5. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

There's plenty more where that came from!

6. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Try working with him, he puts me to shame every day.

Tags: Add Tags