1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer releases Ripsaw video capture box

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I'm interested to see how this one goes, haven't seen any real reviews yet and I only saw it show up on my news feed yesterday. More players in this market are never a bad thing. Seems to be in-line with the price of competitors too which is usually my only issue with Razer.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Is there a market for this? At first I assumed it was like a Steam box, to enable gaming elsewhere - but no it seems its to record gaing footage, or am I wrong?

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

At these high hardware requirements and price, I'll just stick to Nvidia Shadowplay, which is sufficient for me.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I use an internal PCIe capture card to grab footage from SBCs when I'm reviewing and writing stuff about 'em.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For £150, I'd go for a Blackmagic Intensity over this. You can do all the same streaming stuff, and use it for professional media capture too.

7. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

There is definitely a market. Especially for console lets players and streamers. Also, if this offloads resource usage decent enough, and has decent software, it could offer some competition to internal capture cards and software streaming software like Shadowplay.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I must be getting old - I just don't get why people, en masse, would want to record game footage via dedicated hardware.

9. Gareth Halfacree

I have the Blackmagic Intensity Pro. Its Linux support is... interesting. It works fine so long as I'm on a clean boot; if the system has been woken from S3 suspend, it'll work then grind the system to a halt and require a hard reboot. It's the weirdest thing.

10. Hex

Absolutely. Streaming/recording from consoles is a big thing.

Don't a lot of the Black Magic Intensity products require you to have specific motherboards? I seem to remember all my friends who had them having to build PCs around it. Seemed too much faff for me. I'm doing pretty well with my AVerMedia Live Gamer HD at the moment anyway.

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

This, and I'm right there with you.

Let's go retire to the gentlemen's lounge and enjoy a sherry whilst saying things that begin with "back in the day..." and "I remember when..."

Hang on... you're old too. What business do you have fraternising with these sorts? Get in here and drink some sherry. (The "Gentlemen" bit is only a guidance, rather than a strict rule, so long as you're drinking sherry)

Last edited: 31 Mar 2016
  12. Hex

Haha how rude! :lol:

Just editing this in so I don't necro the thread. I've seen now that the Ripsaw is just a re-branded AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme. I'd probably just stick with the LGX!

Last edited: 1 May 2016