1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Synology DS216j Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 12 May 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Recommended and only a 20% score? That seems a bit off...

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Umm, wut?

They don't do scores any more.

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I believe there's some sort of issue where a score does appear at the end, even tho it's not actually representative of the review.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ah, I see. We have slow connection in the office and, if I load the third page of the review and scroll to the bottom really quickly, it does indeed show a 20% score, which vanishes as the page continues to load.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I cannot recommend the Synology NAS range enough. I have a DS211J that has been running like clockwork 24/7 since June 2011 (though I have upgraded the original 2TB mirror since).

It is probably the best value for money item I have ever bought, hosting all our documents, music, photos, videos etc and serving them up to the multiple PC's, laptop's, TV's, games consoles and phone's around the house.

It gets backed up regularly to a home brew OpenMediaVault NAS via rsync (which is a simple one click operation) but it has never missed a beat.

I only updated it to DSM 6.0 the other day so I haven't had a chance to look at the extra stuff but the great thing is that they are still supporting my old model, other manufacturers would of found a way to make it obsolete a long time ago.

I have never needed transcoding as I convert all movies to MP4 to be compatible with all the devices, it is much simpler that way. As I understand it, transcoding needs the grunt of a much more powerful CPU hence why it is not supported on this range.

Sod's law it will die just after I type this but it is still a great piece of kit... :thumb: :D

7. Combatus

Add bit-tech to your adblocker exception list and it will only appear for a fraction of a second :)

8. Combatus

Sorry Spreadie - it's a stop-gap measure following our removal of the scores earlier this year! Hopefully we'll have it sorted soon.

9. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

I'm sure this product is awesome for people with simple needs but to me this is unacceptable. No hotswap bays? How much does that add to the cost these days anyways? You can get cheap hotswap bays in 5.25" cages these days.

And not to mention just another two HDD NAS. So boring.

Did Synology forget to send them one of their better offerings for review? Or is that in the pipeline?

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This is the sort of device I need and should buy, but I just really really want a sexy rack mount file server with hot swap trays.

e-Peen all the way I suppose :sigh:

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you want NAS e-peen, you are better off rolling your own, it will be more performant and probably cheaper.

However, these kinds of Synology devices are perfect for those that don't have the time or inclination to spend their time sorting that out. They really are "set and forget" devices, albeit requiring you to logon once in a while to update the DSM version. After they are setup they just work - something that can't be said for a lot of IT kit nowadays.

12. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

I saw the 20% at the end and had to re-read the page to make sure I hadn't missed the 'It will set your house on fire and download bestiality whilst phoning the police" part of the review! :D

This or something similar seems ideal for me, simple, easy to use, nice software and only 2 disk means I get to mirror stuff.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

16 Tb, might just be enough for Sasha Grey videos

Tags: Add Tags