1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel confirms Kaby Lake for 2016 launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Jun 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Kaby Lake is the new Devils Canyon...a short lifespan, pointless release, and I should know because I have a 4690K.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Pointless or not, I am still waiting for Kaby. I decided a while ago that I was going to wait for Pascal GPUs (maybe even wait for a 1070 mini?) and saw little point in buying a CPU significantly before the GPU so I am biding my time as I don't see the point in buying older hardware when the new stuff is just around the corner and prices will likely just swap over... I am hoping that we might see some new Motherboards come along with Kaby, specifically a new Impact with Aura and Type-C.

4. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Take existing range of cpus, add 100mhz to the clocks and a few very minor architectural tweaks making practically no difference to performance, change the name and release. This cpu business is getting easier and easier.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

If they add USB3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 then I guess it means they are integrating the delayed Alpine Ridge chip. This should at least make make HDMI 2 standard at last.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Given I have an i5 3570K running as happy as a sand-boy at 4.5GHz, I see no point in upgrading until the 10nm node hits the shops.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Alpine Ridge is the Thunderbolt controller, and has been on motherboards for a while (the DSL6340 has turned up on a bunch of Z170 boards, both for Thunderbolt outputs and for regular USB 3.1 outputs without Thunderbolt).
    Regardless, any changes to IO (other than video output) would be almost entirely down to a chipset change rather than processor change.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup but will Kabylake have the same price bump Skylake got?

9. rollo

rollo Modder

didnt the equivelent chips cost similar amounts? Devil Canyon 4790k was around the £280 mark or £500 - £600 in package deals on scan. Skylake for the same chip (6700k) is about the same price point.

If just buying the chip Id assume its more expensive not something id personally look at.

Finding uk launch prices for older chips is pretty difficult.

Currently on scan the 4790k bundle is £533 the 6700k Skylake version is £539 so tiny differences. Skylake bundle has better cooler better memory and better motherboard lol.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Unfortunately the PCH team is either underfunded, undercared for, or just low ambition. They should do, but Intel PCHs have been "behind" since forever. Not just adding TB, but if they really cared to put all those features in the Z chip it would actually incentivise people - especially when the CPU side offers nothing. Currently all you're getting is an extra M.2/U.2 port, that's it. Pathetic.

Shouldn't do. Demand is *already* so low that their partners will push for price drops and Intel has Fabs to keep running. Skylake inventory is building up, they need to shift that first. Expect Q3/4 price drops.

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I would very much like you to be right about this :thumb:

New build this year.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Entirely depends on inventory build up. There will be a tug of war between Intel and partners on pricing. K series will always remain high but others might drop. MBs will likely drop a bit too to make sales targets.