1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte ships X99 and Z170 boards with EK waterblocks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 2 Aug 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Surely you'd want the VRM/chipset block, not the CPU block?

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I agree. It doesn't seem to offer separate monoblocks for many of its X99 boards for some reason - the X99 board listed here was only released recently as part of Broadwell-E refresh, whereas the Z170 board has been out for a while afaik so that may have something to do with it.

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Giga do have a board with separate VRM waterblock already.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But it's not EK is it?

6. Stanley Tweedle

No... it's Giga. Does it need to be EK?

7. Combatus

Depends. Sometimes the built-in blocks are no way near as good - some don't even make direct contact with the VRMs.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This. They're often just a copper tube bent into shape with G1/4s on the end, not a water channel cut into a a copper block. Sometimes it's better, but depends on the model. At least with an EK block you're buying into something known - that's the whole point of this bundle branding.

I'm just saying if you're interested in water cooling you'll very likely have the CPU block already. And getting the CPU block alone isn't a bonus if you have to buy the rest of the kit to actually use it. What's of value when you buy a MB is the MB blocks to go with it and EK is a premium brand versus the hybrid ones usually used. A lot of MB blocks are not available in various markets where you can buy a CPU block anywhere.

9. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

It says in the article that the block cools the CPU and VRM, is that a typo then?

10. Combatus

Nope - there are two different blocks. The one for the Z170 board cools both - it's a monoblock - ie it combines both VRM and CPU blocks into a single block with a single inlet and outlet. The X99 package includes a standard CPU waterblock with nothing for the VRMs - which is odd as I'd argue cooling the VRMs on X99 boards is way more important.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ohhh I only saw the X99 one, not the monoblock one. That's worth it!

12. Stanley Tweedle

The block is available separately at scan for £85 for a range of Giga gaming 5 to 7.

As much as I like water... I dung really see any major benefit to going this route. One would really like an all liquid cooled PC with passive rad getting rid of all fans. Not gonna happen without a lot of messing about especially given the heat per square in from these CPUs.

Tags: Add Tags