1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 25 Aug 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Very nice! Though as you conclude, it's worth seeing what other 14" laptops turn up.

What I'm currently interested in is using a laptop to power an Oculus Rift. Are there any barriers to this? The system should match or exceed the recommended specs (GTX 970) but I imagine Optimus technology might mess things up a little.

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Considering the price of anything containing a 1060 or higher I am going to wait to see what the 1050 offers. Yes, you are getting great performance but I am not paying that money for what looks like a plastic kids toy.

Please will someone step up and make an XPS 15 style laptop with the new 10 series cards. Not everyone wants a gaming laptop that looks like a gaming laptop. In fact, given the popularity of the XPS line (and to a lesser extent Apple's offerings, especially when you consider one of the chief complaints about the MBP is its under-powered graphics) I would suggest that there may be a significant market for professional looking laptops with a bit of grunt under the hood.

The blade looks suitably subtle and I think balances the gamer/professional look well - but the price premium puts many off. Also what's the deal with the marking of the WASD keys? Gamers don't look at the keys anyway so it is superfluous really, but it is especially grinding when it is as a gaudy as the that on the new ASUS Strix laptops.

/Rant over.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2016
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just looked at the official website and it does say the laptop is 'VR Ready'...

@AlphaAngel: Yeah, I wish the 'gaming' style would die out already. Do people really want bloody LEDs and the like everywhere?

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Dynaudio. Wow, there's a blast from the past !

6. rollo

rollo Modder

They do Pete J its very popular, The performance of this laptop is crazy.

A 1080 version will beat all 980 sli versions. Which is straight up insane.

7. ajfsound

ajfsound Minimodder

@AlphaAngel agreed - I'm totally in the market for a sleek portable gtx 1060 laptop, with a decent screen that doesn't have flashing lights or other typical 'gaming laptop' traits. It would be great if there was a laptop like this that I wouldn't be embarrassed to use in front of the gf/mates/public place but that had decent power still but in an understated way...

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, hopefully Gigabyte will come out with the P34W v4 (or whatever they call it). If they keep the understated look, that's the laptop you're looking for...

9. smartroad

smartroad What's a Dremel?

Regarding the temperature, did you run it without the back on, giving the fans maximum intake potential? Would be interesting to see if that is an issue with the vent size.

Tags: Add Tags