1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD chalks up much-needed Alibaba Cloud win

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Oct 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Excellent :D

3. Pleiades

Pleiades Newbie

'Fiscally tenuous'? Doesn't sound like correct grammar to me - am I mistaken (genuine question, not trolling)?

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The phrase itself is grammatically sound. However, the word fiscally as a synonym for financially is an American English meaning. In the context of Oxford English the word directly relates to government finances. So in that sense its use in the article is incorrect. Unless you read it with an American accent of course.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fiscally means in a way that relates to money or expenditure. Traditionally, this was exclusively used for government revenue discussions; I'm using it here in the broader, American English sense of simply relating to financial matters. Tenuous means very weak or slight. Thus "fiscally tenuous" becomes "having a slight or weak grip on financial matters."

It's not a massively popular pairing of words - Google shows just 623 results, most of which are for some reason discussing California's reliance on the almond industry - and isn't entirely correct by British English standards, but I liked the way it flowed.

6. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

How dare a British based website use the term in an "Americanized" fashion. For shame </playful_sarcasm>

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Its a bloody out rage it is.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I love Bit :clap:

Not only can we have a discussion about grammar in the comments on a tech article without getting the thread closed for being off topic, but we can do it civilly.