1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Razer Keynote: Blade Notebooks come to Europe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 20 Oct 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I've been waiting for this and read it last night. Now I am waiting to see what the 1050/ti can do and what Dell put in the new XPS (I am assuming they will wait for Kaby Lake too), before I decide what to buy in the new year.

My big worry is heat though (the cost as well but this is a not quite as important for me). If the 1050ti is as good as a 960 (desktop card) but at the touted 75w then I would have loved for Razer to have put that in the blade to solve the heat issue they have whilst still retaining great performance - unfortunately this would lose Razer its edge on the gaming market I feel.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A couple of thoughts from me:

1) 4K on a 12.5" screen?! Mental! I'd be more than happy with the 1440p option. Still, good to have choices. Maybe even get the 4K screen to deliberately run things at a crisp 1080p.
    2) If the Blade Stealth could somehow fit in a GPU with at least 970m performance, I'd be willing to pay a hefty premium for that. If a 1060 could be fit in there...I'd be willing to pay A LOT.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have a 12.5 4k on my Radius 12, its a great screen, superb colour and clarity, nearly everything on w10 works great, I have one legacy application that doesn't scale well, that is nigh on illegible, I have to swap to 1080p, which is actually not a nice option, too blurry, its functional, my laptop is essentially similar to what Razor were selling in the Blade before the CPU upgrade but at half the price.

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Is it blurry because of scaling issues or are you saying 1080p is blurry? I think FHD would be preferable for me as I would want the battery life over the extra pixels.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Considering the features and physical dimensions of this, I'd say that's a good price point. Still not something I would ever buy for myself, though.

7. User-sam

User-sam When in doubt, follow your nose.

Looks like a black macbook pro that runs windows and can actually play games. I want one!

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

1080p is blurry due to scaling, it is not terrible but it is clear it is not native, things are so crisp at 4k, its clear when its different, same with any LCD they are best at native, battery life is fine on my screen, normal web/email usage on low power I get 8hrs, but crank it up for games which I do run at 1080p happily it drops big time of course. My other laptop is 1080p 13" it is fine but not as good as this thing

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Now this is interesting, because scaling 1080p to Ultra HD shouldn't be blurry. Ultra HD (3,840x2,160) is exactly double 1080p (1,920x1,080) in both directions, meaning all you have to do is turn each individual pixel into a block of four pixels (two horizontal, two vertical) and voila: 1080p on an Ultra HD screen. Things should look bigger, yes, and if you look closely blockier, but they should never look blurrier. The fact that they do suggests somebody's stuffed up with the scaler and it's doing something stupid.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Blurry is probably the wrong term but no matter it just doesn't look as good, not as crisp as native 4k, or native 1080p on a 1080 screen of similar size, it's perfectly acceptable but not ideal.

I'll try and get some pictures up, it's similar for my 40” 4k PC monitor which is awesome, but it's 1080p playback of my ps4 is functional but better through a 4K TV with some scaling processing that these screens add IMO.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2016
Tags: Add Tags