1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7-7700K Performance and Overclocking Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 5 Dec 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

So it looks like a clock speed increase of ~7% offering ~8-9% performance increase in most benchmarks.

It's great to see a return to 5ghz overclock territory (if, as you mention, this is a representative sample) but there's little else to get excited about in this release.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

And... we are back at the "Prehot" era...

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I have to say that I too want to see Intel push this more. Broadwell was actually a great 1080 gaming CPU and had vastly superior performance compared to AMD's APUs outside of games too. If Intel had knocked back the CPU grunt a bit more to hit a better price point (and actually shipped samples to journalists) it would have gone down a storm.

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

There's an extra power consumption chart on page four where the photo editing chart should be and a small typo in the conclusion.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2016
  6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I can't say as I'm overwhelmed any by it's performance Antony, I have a 5.2GHz capable 6600k which holds a day to day overclock of 4.6GHz at well below stock voltage - would I be correct in saying the Z270 motherboards are backwards compatible for Skylake CPU's?

7. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I wanted to see how my 2500K at 4.8ghz compared in Terragen, how do I get it run the same benchmark that your guys use?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

The voltage going through the chip is surely not long term stable. Which was always the goal of overclocking. Gain performance don't kill chip.

9. Combatus

They will be indeed and vice versa. We had limited time to play with the sample but in the full review we'll be trying out maximum overclocks at certain voltages - we went for broke here and got to 5.1GHz using a standard liquid cooler and 1.44V. We'll also see what's possible at stock voltage.

That's going to be a massive hike up from what would be required for stability at 5GHZ and 4.9GHz as the voltage curve is usually exponential once you get to a certain point. With a turbo boost single core frequency of 4.5GHz, I'd imagine 4.6GHz or maybe even 4.7GHz could be achieved at or below stock volts too. We shall see :)

10. Combatus

You can download the file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz76x2cjr2j64bd/benchmark 52.tgd?dl=0

Grab Terragen 3 from here https://www.dropbox.com/s/jettck2rquz1spg/Terragen3-Win64-30100.msi?dl=0 That's the version we used - There are different versions of v3 out there and they just released 4 too, so make sure you use this one so the results are comparable.

File>open (project file)

Click on the renderers tab

Select full render at the top left then render image half way down. It will record the time taken for you.

11. Combatus

Not it's not long term stable, we never said it was. This was purely an exercise to find the maximum stable overclock using traditional cooling. As I mentioned to 23RO_UK, we'll be doing a full review with detailed overclocking to see what's possible at stock volts and a reasonable every day voltage. :)

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Looking forwards to the full review. My i5 2500K is still going strong and I see no reason to upgrade my 2011 computer.

13. rectro

rectro What's a Dremel?

I'm supriced by the low cinebench score's. My 5930k at 4.5 ghz gets 1278 points. Need to see a 6 or 8 core to see any being it unless this chip is way cheaper than a second hand 5930k.

14. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

My 4.8ghz 2500K ran the terragen benchmark in 320s in a far from optimised machine Vs 309s for the 7700 @ 5.1ghz.....not that impressive, power consumption is considerably lower though.

I was expecting more, lots more given we're now several generations passed Sandy Bridge and comparing 32nm Vs 14nm process technology.... Is my GPU assisting with the rendering?

If I recall Cinebench will also run faster due to the HT on the 7700, so no real comparison to be had there

15. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

From the point of view of your wallet, this is a good thing :) I've got the same CPU. I'd usually spend about £150 on a new one every three years, might be tempted to spend a lot more on one now it seems to take 6 years+ to get something worth upgrading to. Who knows, we might be here in four years time complaining that there's only been a cumulative IPC speed increase of 50% over 10 years lol

16. raybies

raybies What's a Dremel?

Mine easily goes to 4.9Ghz @ 1.35v ~80c and I thought that was awesome. I've been a little apprehensive about pushing it further, are you just playing with voltage and multiplier? My Asus Pro Gamer has sooooooo many darn options, but I've limited myself to LLC + voltage + X.
    Which mobo you using?
    I'm interest in your 4.6Ghz below stock volts settings.

17. raybies

raybies What's a Dremel?

Personally I would have done a 6700k Mhz for 7700k Mhz comparison (both @ 4.5Ghz), to accurately ascertain real improvement.

Tags: Add Tags