1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Western Digital teases 14TB UltraStar hard drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Dec 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

That's impressive. My largest drive is 1TB...

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I want/need a few, but after being burnt by SMR, I'll wait until a) we know actual performance numbers in situ, b) price and c) reliability.

C is my biggest concern; backing up 14TB of data is no joke. Losing it is a worse one.

I've fallen back to Enterprise-grade 4TB drives, as they seem to be the most reliable currently. I've been burnt by too many 6TB-and-up drives (the best joke ever was buying WD drives labelled 6TB (5.45TB formatted) that were actually 5TB (4.54TB) with the wrong sticker on... was not impressed.

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

14TB, that's def more than a brain

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

What's the pricing like on these compared with similarly sized SSDs? Obviously it will be a fair bit lower, but just curious to see how the gap is steadily closing. With drives getting this big, having simply that much more speed must begin to be quite handy for backups and whatnot.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Since the HDD in question is aimed at data centre use we should look at SSDs aimed at a similar scenario:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16t...lc-set-nand-500mb-s-read-430mb-s-write-65k-15

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/38t...-mlc-v-nand-520mb-s-read-480mb-s-write-97k-24

And that is the ultra low end of it... when it comes to enterprise ssd pricing the sky is the limit.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2016
  7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

That's the thing though, those are much smaller, more commercial drives. I mean the whopping 12-16TB ones that are also shipping out. I would think that whilst pricing is still much higher than the above HDD, it can't be that long until the price is low enough that the speed increases (along with smaller footprint and power usage etc.) start to make sense. I mean if you're backing up 1PB of data, that could make a sizeable difference for example.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

4 of the 4TB Samsung ones would still be cheaper than a single big one as unfortunately the big ones are still ludicrously expensive (but still fly off the shelves due to companies being desperate for them).

$10k for 15.3TB
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10533...33a-lineup-as-1536-tb-ssd-hits-retail-for-10k

9. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I don't think SSD will ever catch up to platters in price vs capacity, but there might come a time that platters simply stop being made and then the question becomes moot of course.