1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Reports point to further financial troubles at Crytek

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Dec 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. AiA

AiA Minimodder

they have a HR department?

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I wonder why Crytek owns seven (or is it eight?) developers.

They own no significant IP (EA controls Crysis), release very, very few games for the number of devs they have and haven't had a hit since Crysis 3 (arguably since Crysis 2).

They should have been focused on developing CryEngine for other companies, but then for all it's power CryEngine has never been as good as Unreal to work with. I bet Crytek don't have the same can do attitude to modifications that Epic does a well.

I wonder where this leaves things like Mechwarrior and Star Citizen if CryTek were to be wound up by the Germans.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2016
  4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

How on earth does someone go and work for 6 months without pay and not find a new job? Surely their software people could walk into many jobs.

5. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

CIG (Star Citizen) have been heavily modifying the CryEngine for a few years, its a completely different engine now really (now referred to as StarEngine), they've been able to introduce some official update features but it still required rewiring even then. If anything, these financial issues have been beneficial to CIG, people who understand how the engine works because they were involved in building it must be very useful when you're rebuilding it.
    No idea about Mech, but the only thing i can think of that might hurt SC is shared information on different challenges like VR implementation. Bigger picture, having one less engine would be disappointing.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

As Paul says, SC is fine.

MWO also runs a customised version of the engine and isn't even nearly on the latest version - and as a result won't be affected by any slowdown or complete shutdown of Cryengine development. On top of that, their new SP Mechwarrior game is based on Unreal.