1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google begins disabling Flash for HTML5 push

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Dec 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"this yer"? --> year :)

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoopsie - I'll go fix that, ta!

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

"To ensure a smooth transition, not all users and sites will be affected immediately." translates to:
    In an attempt to cause maximum confusion and avoid people blaming us, we're going to make sure different Chrome users have different experiences. This way when people complain that their browser games stop working, the rest of the internet will be "works for me, probably an ID-10-T error ."

Personally, I uninstalled Flash forever ago. But whatever. I'm just cynical of this "roll it out to a random subset of users" plan. I mean, isn't the entire point of not running a beta browser that you don't want to be beta-testing things?

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Since Windows 10 it seems more and more companies are using consumers as their beta testers, or did Microsoft copy Google? It's difficult to keep track. ;)

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

This isn't really beta testing though as they aren't measuring how the browser will react to the feature being turned off.

7. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Bit of a nuisance for me as that means that potentially 1% of my user base will have Flash disabled making troubleshooting a serious PITA as I won't know which ones until issues with certain legacy sites and applications that still use Flash get flagged. I then also have no way guaranteeing that a remove/reinstall won't cause exactly the same issue. If it's switched off totally then I can at least create a test deployment to confirm but a "Well, we might have disabled it. You'll just have to upgrade and see" is about as much use to me as a Vegan chocolate teapot (can't make a brew in it, doesn't have any food content either).

8. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Just use Opera until the full change is implemented. Or just use Opera.

9. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Apple did it first. :p

I still remember the reviews of OSX, before it had a decimal after it or a cute cat name.
    When it lacked support for advanced functionality such as DVD playback and CD burning, and they still had the audacity to put it in a box and advertise it as a finished product.
    You know, the kind of detail that gets forgotten because the people that ought to care most are friggin' religious zealots dedicated to protecting their chosen platform's reputation at all costs.

10. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I guess the system of total tracking and DRM for HTML5 is done then eh.
    Congrats Google.