1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Yahoo warns of breach affecting a billion user accounts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Dec 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I got an email from them this morning. I can't ever remember using Yahoo, but apparently I must have.

Wouldn't like to be a data partner with them. I'd definitely be asking some serious questions in the next meeting.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What are they enhancing them with, sticky back plastic and chewing gum.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Yeah, I got an email too. Telling people to change their passwords now for a breach that happened three years ago is a but barn door post horse.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Le sigh, not used my yahoo account in years, unfortunately I do use my flickr account.

6. DC74

DC74 Doh!

I'm getting fed up with all these accounts being hacked, it's about time they were fined per user account stolen, that would make them get off their lazy arses and be pro-active in the fight against hackers, instead of sitting back thinking they are safe.

After all they are supposed to keep our details secure, that's the promise they make when they become a data handler. If they can't do that then their licence to gather and hold customer data needs to be revoked.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What man hath locked, man can unlock. The only way you could guarantee that users personal data is entirely safe would be to store them on a computer then unplug it and stick it in a lead-lined vault. Computer systems these days are entirely too complex to guarantee security, and Yahoo did some things right: the passwords were hashed, at least, and I'd hope salted too. 'Course, some of the security questions and answers were stored in the clear, which was dumb - especially when paired with users who think a good security question is to repeat their password in case they forget it...

You can run the very latest software on the very latest operating system behind the very latest firewall, and if there's a zero-day you're still screwed. Fact of life, that.

Now, if you want to get angry at Yahoo perhaps we should be talking about that secretive email backdoor it put in that anyone could access and its chief security officer knew nothing about...

8. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Maybe it's also time for sky to find a new partner and lose yahoo. I think ever since 2013 i've had loads more spam. May have done something silly last night by following a link regarding yahoo story from the guardian comments and entered my sky address and it came up compromised. I may get more spam now :(

9. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Hey, it would still be an improvement.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They're adding extra locks to the door, totally oblivious to the fact one of the walls is missing...