1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer unveils triple-screen Project Valerie gaming notebook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jan 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

hahaha - that's the most amazing piece of e-peen that I've seen in a long while. Guesses at a price? I'm going for £10,000.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm going for "never going to see the light of day," personally - but, to be fair, at least one prototype does actually exist and is being shown off at CES, so at least it's not just renderware.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This.

Would be interesting to the creative/workstation market since it's 3x4K so there's no way that 1080 will game at that native res. 3xFHD would make more sense for a single 1080.

It's certainly better than the curved 21" Acer monstrosity that is an actual product.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That's what I was thinking - can a fully maxed desktop even push 3x4K properly at the moment? Showing it playing a game in the teaser video is tantamount to false advertising :lol:

Way more interesting for creative/visualisation/finance types, surely.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

8. Gareth Halfacree

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I feel like I need 'But .. why?' in .gif format for this.

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That's awesome. Crazy, but awesome.

And at least with 4K screens, you have the option of running 1080p. You don't in the reverse scenario.

Amusingly, the thing I most miss when I'm on the road is triplewide. I've got so used to working across three screens that on a single screen everything slows right down.

This is ultimately largely impractical (imagine trying to deploy it when flying Economy!) but I've not yet found a laptop that can actually drive all the outputs it has. My current laptop has (internal screen) 4K eDP, 4K capable HDMI and two mini-DisplayPorts, but only one of the two mDP's can do more than 1080P, and it can't drive all three and the internal screen all at the same time. :(

Last edited: 6 Jan 2017
  11. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I (and many) can justify spending 2k on a gaming pc (inc display/s)
    so all you need is enough people earning 5x more than me to justify likewise.
    surely 1000 people in the world are well off enough to make this happen.
    Please.....

12. Mister_Tad

I'm not quite sure it works like that.

13. AiA

AiA Minimodder

firefox on the left , word in the middle and excel on the right, it will increase my productivity 3 times.

And thats what i'm going to say to my boss.

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Intially I though this would be handy because I would often have to work across multiple documents, plus virtual machines, plus some sort of software. But now that I think about it, when I was mobile I could get away with just the one screen and leave my extra monitors on my desk. I only needed one monitor when mobile because I would be on a job, concentrating on a single application. Would probably be useful to someone with no base of operations, maybe.

I also found having multiple virtual desktops that you can switch between using keyboard shortcuts is not a bad replacement for multi-monitor setups. Since windows 10 now has that feature built in, it can diminish the need somewhat for multiple monitors.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Is that before or after the heart attack?

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

This was the target framerate on Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix on my 286 back in the day @ 320x240..... sadly it never reached it and I would have to make do with no textures and 15fps with a CPU of 400% occupancy!!

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'd be so busy playing with the screen deployment I'd never get any work done. :D

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I don't know if it's just me but in my mind even if it was capable of running games at a playable frame rate, the screens just seem to be too close to the gamer to be of any benefit. The viewing angle just seems wrong to me.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've heard that some gaming notebooks get picked up by workstation/creative users because a) modern Mac Pro's are **** and b) they're the only ones with decent displays + graphics cards. But these people don't want all the **** bling, so Razer models are frequently desired. I think Valerie is a nod to this market, not gamers. Razer needs to spin off a business/creative brand.

20. Mister_Tad

Makes sense, and c) "mobile workstation" class laptops from the "business" brands are monstrously expensive compared to their gaming counterparts.

I have fairly memory hungry requirements, and it was a pain at my last refresh (probably easier now, but 16GB sticks were barely a thing at the time) just to find something that was business appropriate and easily portable, and I didn't even have display and GPU to think about. Razer are sensible (if you can call a 12K triple screen laptop 'sensible') to avoid any l33t styling. Whenever some company launches a really garish £5000 gaming system, I wonder where all of these well heeled 12 year olds are coming from?