1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte Aorus Motherboards: A Closer Look

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 17 Jan 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nice to see them taking the audio power delivery seriously. Nichicon golds are not cheap.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

There are far too many and they're far too expensive. £520 is ridiculous, always thought the maximis extreme boards were bad at 300, but it's getting silly now.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That is quite probably the one with the Bitspower parts on it. Even if you say the word Bitspower it costs you fifty quid.

Not sure how well this will bode with water cooling people tbh. Most of them like fitting their own blocks and choosing the design etc.

Actually the more I think about it the more the price makes sense. If you don't have to replace the pony onboard sound (for the driving power for headphones more than the quality, they usually skimp on the amp part) and you don't need to buy a VRM block etc it all starts to reduce the overall cost of a water cooled rig.

I wouldn't buy it though haha.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Don't forget the PLX chip, those things are really expensive, need to whack a good amount on top for a good enough margin.

In any case, people can't complain about the top-end pricing if there's also a whole range that are cheaper and sport most of the features on show anyway. Still a bit odd having the top board be basically the same price as the top-end X99 board, but at the same time X99 isn't really relevant for most users, even of extreme systems. The extra cores don't really add anything over the mainstream socket in gaming currently.

6. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Seems the graphics department at Gigabyte doesn't know the difference between impedance and resistance then when they talk about that USB cable voltage thing.

I do like that Gigabyte seems to not just ignore thing and seem to be actively thinking of tricks to improve previous offerings. And I think the Gigabyte boards are a pretty good bet right now. Although I in the past when I bought a Gigabyte board which wasn't the cheapest I was really really disappointed that they suddenly stopped support and updating their BIOS after just releasing a beta BIOS. (they also didn't update drivers anymore even though the board wasn't very old). That was both rude and stupid.
    And now I hear in a lot of reviews of Gigabyte boards that they are nice but they need a few small fixes in BIOS updates, but then I am thinking 'but will there be any?'
    Still, years have passed and gigabyte does seem to be changing over time, maybe it's better now.

Tags: Add Tags