1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Replacing Mechanical Keyboard Switches: Corsair K65 RGB Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 Jan 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

This would be a cracking upgrade for those cheap Magicforce boards!

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Now this, this right here is a proper modding article! Nice one Dave!

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've replaced all the leds on a roccat board before as nearly half of the originals had failed but where do you buy that many switches from.

I can find them on eBay but pretty pricey and generally sold in quantities of just a couple.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2017
  5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Lovely article:clap:

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'd quite like to do this with the older K65. I'm pretty sure it only had reds, so browns or blues would be great on it.

7. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I really enjoyed that Dave, good work buddy!

J.

8. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

9. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Would love to give this a go, just don't have the workspace :(
    Cats or child + soldering iron = catastrophe in waiting....

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

11. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Just a suggestion but would it be worth creating an index for these articles so that they don't just get lost at the bottom of a long list of articles. Bit-tech seems to be investing a significant sum in upping their modding coverage so it would be a shame to waste that.

12. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

The main navigation bars at the top let you filter into Modding articles, and then Project Logs, which is where we've included this. Or did you have something else in mind?

13. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Love such articles. Wish you would post more such stuff.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Excellent! I haz a dead switch on my K70 to swap out, and this will help immensly! :dremel:

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yes, yes I did... so I bought a keyboard that has them! :lol:

In all seriousness this is a great article, well explained and the pics make things very clear. Seeing the amount of work that went into this all I can say is I'm glad I got a keyboard that already has backlit MX Greens. :thumb:

16. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

Long post alert as I failed to reply to people throughout the day!

Yeah, you can basically get a decent shell and some better switches and really vamp up your keyboard. Do bear in mind that some of the cheaper keyboards really do have some terrible components though.

Thanks dude! Love to mess with keyboards :D

Corky has already mentioned a couple of places, but also Massdrop is good as are the Chinese markets like Aliexpress.

Thank you!

Yeah, a switch swap can breathe life back into an old keyboard, or if you don't like the switches, then you can change them, it is time-consuming, but you get a sense of accomplishment when you finish.

Cheers you big ginger hunk you.

aaah, I have 2 cats! I just did it in the evening when everything (and my missus) was in bed :)

If you want to see more, let me know what and I will try my best to do them, post up here so I can see and if it is something I am able to do (or even something I am able to learn to do) I will try my best to do it!

Yeah man! awesome, if it helps you to fix your switch then this has feen a successful article imo!

haha, I have 5 green switched keyboards (Planck, Whitefox, Ergodox, Pok3r III and Code 60) but I have a Corsair build that I use when I go to events and having a matching set of peripherals is always nice :)

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've had mine for about a year now and the switches are holding up fine. I'm really heavy on my board too. Some of them have an ever so slight looseness and twist a tiny bit but all work as they should.

TBH I wouldn't really want to spend the time messing around when I can just buy another whole board for the same price as the switches.

Good article though. I never realised you had to desolder the switches I figured they were just pressed into sockets.

18. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Well I see these articles becoming more of a reference tool and even in the modding section how long before articles get lost in the list. The search function isn't perfect either. This could become a real attraction of the website if managed right.

I'm not sure what would work but I was thinking of an index, for example a page with headings for mod types i.e. Keyboards, cases, fans etc and when you click on the link it takes you to the articles related to modding that item. That is supposing there will be enough articles to make something like this worth while.

19. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

Nice article! Greens though, your gonna have muscles on yer muscles in them fingers.

Great to see a keyboard being serviced, huge advantage of mech keyboards, just replace those wasd keys you've mashed senseless for a year, and yay, new keyboard!

edit: That said I'm all about laptop style keys for gaming, scissor & butterfly mechs, etc, *silent* (teamspeak people will love you) and actuates fast.

20. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

Also use a silicone nozzle solder sucker, what takes hours will take minutes if you have a serious enough expression on your face when doing the work :p

Tags: Add Tags