1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 9 Mar 2017.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

11GB seems such a weird size for the frame buffer... I thought it was a typo at first...

The cynical part of me thinks they've crippled it just enough so it can't be used as a cheap Titan X/Quadro for workloads that require that kinda thing.

3. burningsky25

burningsky25 What's a Dremel?

Small thing, but it would appear your graphs on page 11 have the shading reversed for the 1080 Ti - I wouldn't expect it to draw less power and run cooler under load compared to idle, but that's what it seems to indicate . . .

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Little bit disappointing in that it can't smash 4k@60fps in some of those titles, looks like SLI is still required.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Every time I think there is a GPU coming along that could actually "do" 4k the game devs make worse games, requiring even more grunt.

I mean yeah, this is as close as you are going to get for a single card 4k monster but I still feel that we need more power.

As for the card? yeah I would like one. Would make a nice upgrade from my Titan XM. However the price is pretty out there. It would take me three months of saving for one, and I can think of far better things to do with my time. Shame, but I guess that's how it is now. Maybe I will pick a second hand one up in a year or so's time?

For years and years I always said "OK so this is my limit" and have always crumbled. But over the past year or so I've been sticking to my limits and Intel and Nvidia have more than broken those limits.

And for once I've not crumbled.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Nice numbers, but my 1080 will suffice until Volta appears.

7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

And so affordable as well.

8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The chances of Volta being much of an upgrade to a 1080 are very small.

9. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Not sure how helpful those temperature comparsions are in the great scheme of things, apples to apples with FEs would be nice to see but it is nice to see that even with the FE the temps are well under control. Otherwise great review except for the price but that's not your fault.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Personally, as I game at 1440p and don't play the most demanding games (I play RPG/MMORPG), I like the fact that this launch has been accompanied by cuts in the prices of GTX 1070 & 1080.

11. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

DId anything ever come of the rumours that 980Ti owners would have some sort of reward/incentive to upgrade with the launch of the 1080 Ti?

I remember it doing the rounds a few months ago, but then nothing.

12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I'll stick with my 1070, it's nice that I picked it up on pre-order cheaper than what it's retailing at even now :D

13. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Even though I got my 1080 cheap (£390 cheap), I was still nervous with this just around the corner.

Feel fairly justified in my decision now though - the games that are playable on a Ti @ 4K are playable on a vanilla 1080, the ones that aren't... Well, aren't.

Hopefully the PS4 Pro and Scorpio will push developers into being a bit more efficient with the graphical power they can use - it gets embarrassing when even a new console is effectively playing the same games that our £400+ GPU's are struggling with...

14. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I was trying to make the point in the 1080ti thread within hardware that prices have been inflated, and promptly got fed a load of waffle and some graph that showed top-end GPU prices are the same, with inflation being conceptually offered as the culprit. Glad to see this article has hit the nail on the head.

Prices of top end gpus have increased, and it appears to scale somewhat down the line.

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This seems to me to be a kind of pre-emptive strike on Nvidia's side. As per usual in the recent past they are prepared. Which is not a good thing for us, the customers.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

This is going to sound arrogant, but I feel the review is incomplete without a direct comparison to the Titan XP - I imagine this is because it's hardly a GPU most have lying around for the sake of it. After all, the 1080 Ti is supposed to render the Titan XP obsolete.

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yeah, 3 separate reviews I've read have omitted the TXP! Was it that expensive that Nvidia didn't give many to tech sites? :hehe:

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It doesn't render it obsolete, it just offers the same performance for less dough a year later, that is the march of technology for you, if you are high resolution gaming and you have titan XP you have no need for this TI, you still have the marginally better card, particularly if you have it under water.

If you are using reference coolers then the Ti would win out as it can run longer before throttling boost due to improved cooling.

For me, who was on the fence at £1100 a GPU (though I almost fell off a few times :D ) , 700quid is a lot more palatable as a single card solution that can allow me to play at 4k@60 (almost, reckon it will be fine with some OC, I will find out :) )

Some Ti vs Titan XP numbers in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7MIrWtUjRQ

Last edited: 9 Mar 2017
  19. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Would be good to have added some graphs with a 980ti for direct previous generation comparison I was hoping the 1080ti would make 4K plausible but I don't think we are there quite yet.

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's exactly what they wanted you to think.

Tags: Add Tags