1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 28 Apr 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I have struggled to properly enjoy an RTS game since SupCom, specifically FA, which ramped everything up to 11.

Being able to seamlessly zoom in on to the small details, and back out all the way to a full map strategic view has made every other RTS feel small scale and claustrophobic in comparison...

And being able to win a game with any tech tier was also refreshing - swarm an enemy with 600 T1 bombers to completely overwhelm their air defence? Viable. Drop in a few heavy drop ships filled with T3 siege bots to take out their power/shield generators before a focused artillery strike? Noice. Trundle a few Monkeylords across the map to literally stomp over and through their point defences? Awwww yeeeaaah.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

There are better examples?

Like...? Total War Warhammer?

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Will buy it. But when it's cheaper.

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I played the closed beta for a few rounds, sadly I found it very uninspiring.

It's trying to be a mix of DOW1&2 which sounds good on paper but has not turned out quite how I thought it might.

6. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Same for me.

Its woeful given its background of DOW 1 and 2, it seems to be worse than both.

7. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

They took out last stand. Won't be playing it.

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

The beta only had Space Marines, Orks & Eldar, was that a quirk of the beta or are there really only 3 races? If so, that's very sad, as I have no doubt they will release them as paid DLC...

9. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Pretty sure that's the intention.

10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So basically, come back in a couple of years when they release a "Super Mega GOTY + All DLC Edition"... on a Steam sale.

11. Mauler

Mauler What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure that "fascism" really applies when the reset of the galaxy REALLY IS OUT TO KILL YOU. lol.

Really enjoying the game so far but it could be improved with a few more features of the original to be added in as options via mod or patch; buildable turrets, buildable HQs, the option to have a sliding scale to set the power level of Elites for that more DOW feel (down for DOW, up for sequels), the option to go with Elite Kills or Extermination as victory conditions rather than the Destroy A, B & C current and damn it, give the Marines & especially Terminators a voice improvement so they actually sound like heavy 7-8ft killing machines talking over an ancient vox network!

But yeah, awesome fun so for for the most part :D

Tags: Add Tags