1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus ROG Pugio Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

An ambidextrous mouse is a poor substitute for manufacturing both right and left handed versions. I use an Evoluent Vertical Mouse, which is not only available in right and left handed versions but, is also available in two sizes.

3. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

This is true, however, I have friends who switch hands depending on what they are doing. It would be great to see more left-hand only mice on the market... although I wouldn't be able to review them :D

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I'm really surprised that you can award the "Exceptional" award to a product that you, in three separate paragraphs of the conclusion, describe as overpriced!

5. davido_labido

Pretty much this really:

[​IMG]

It is a good mouse, there could be slight improvements such as having a 3360, but 'ROG Tax' would make it over £100 then. Ambidextrous mice are generally more expensive than standard mice and the cheap ones are usually not great. I stand by the award :)

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Surely "overpriced" and "worth saving for" are mutually exclusive?

7. davido_labido

You would think so, but worth is down to the person buying it. I think a lot of products are overpriced,yet they sell like hotcakes, so they must be worth saving for for the purchaser.

If I was wanting an ambidextrous mouse, my first choice would be the G900, it is what I use now. That is £130. That is wireless and has a better sensor (3366) but other than that it is a very similar mouse.

The 3330 tracks well and has a decent enough range, it is very similar to the 3360, but, iirc, doesn't have SROM.

Having ROG in the title adds always increases price, as well as being ambidextrous, which always sucks, but is becoming the norm. The price doesn't take anything away from the mouse though. It is worth getting if you require it.

It is 100% worth saving for over the Impact and tbh, quite a lot of other ambidextrous mice.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It was more in reference to the award criteria including "worth saving for" (i.e. worth the money) but the review concluding it was overpriced - which by definition means *not* worth the money... Can't be both, surely? Either you think it's worth the money, in which case it's not overpriced, or you think it's overpriced, in which case it's not worth the money.

(Disclaimer: I haven't read the review, I'm just going by what Omnislip said. From what you've said above, though, it sounds like you're arguing it's *not* overpriced - which means the award makes perfect sense, but the review's conclusion is apparently misleading.)

9. davido_labido

"worth" changes from person to person. To me, it isn't worth the price as I am right handed and have no need for an ambidextrous mouse. To others, it could be. The hardware is fine, it is only the price that is an issue, but prices are going up across the board and when it has an ROG logo on, you know it is going to be expensive anyway.

It is the same as a lot of hardware, a lot is overpriced, but it is still worth getting as it is better than a lot of stuff on the market. Buying any GPU now would make it overpriced, it doesn't make the product any worse than it was 3 months ago.

10. Gareth Halfacree

I think we have a fundamental disagreement here: for me, if something is worth getting then it is by definition not overpriced; I'd only say something was overpriced when listing reasons it *wasn't* worth getting.

To quote The Free Dictionary: "charging or charged at too high a price; too costly for the value." It's not a synonym for "expensive," it very specifically means *too* expensive.

11. davido_labido

well, I didn't ever use the term "overpriced" in the review iirc, but value is subjective anyway, what you think is too expensive or overpriced can be far different to what I think is too expensive or overpriced, it doesn't change the quality of the hardware.

12. Gareth Halfacree

<goes to look>
    You're right, you didn't. Which makes my entire argument moot and also means I have *no* idea what Omnislip is on about: you said it was expensive but that the price is justifiable, which is the exact opposite of overpriced.

As you were!

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Any mouse that includes spare switches should last twice as long as another mouse. I've paid twice this price for mice and they've all died.

14. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Hey there!

"Okay, the Pugio isn't cheap, but it is Asus ROG; the logo usually adds £20 to a product, so it comes as no surprise that it is expensive."

"For the price, it would have been nice to see a more advanced sensor, but let's face it, the PWM3330 is perfectly fine for gamers and workaholics alike. It just feels that for £70 we should just get a little more for our money here, but again: 'ROG Tax'."

"It would have been nice to see it priced a little cheaper, but pricing doesn't change how good a product is."

Maybe I should have said 2 or 2.5 mentions, but they are there! I think the award is fine though with the explanation of it being ambidextrous - if all of these mice are overpriced, it seems like this particular model should be able to get away with it.

15. Gareth Halfacree

"isn't cheap" and "is expensive" are simply references to the cost, and make no claims to judge its relative value. You could argue that "the logo usually adds £20" could be read as it being overpriced (by £20, in fact), I'll give you that one.

"For the price, it would have been nice to see a more advanced sensor" and "it just feels that for £70 we should get a little more for our money here" I'd say are wishlists rather than it being overpriced - though, again, reference to the "ROG Tax" does suggest that there's an unjustifiable premium being charged based on brand alone.

"It would have been nice to see it priced a little cheaper" - that's definitely not saying it's overpriced. I've never bought a single thing on which I wouldn't have been happier spending less!

16. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Also I didn't mean to kick off any arguments or anything! But it's easy to see now how people will interpret awards differently depending on what exactly is important to them!

I think the review is good, too :)

Tags: Add Tags