1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD signs semi-custom AI chip deal with Tesla, source claims

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Sep 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'm not sure you can say they've 'beaten Nvidia to the punch' when Nvidia chips have been shipping in all three of Tesla's production vehicles for several years: Tegra in every Model S, X and 3 since launch for the dash, and Drive PX2 for all newer X and S (and all Model 3s) for the optical navigation system, after Tesla dropped the RADAR-based system from Mobileye.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

*AMD Drivers joke here*

MLyons likes this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

True, that was badly phrased on my part. I meant something closer to having seemingly beaten out the incumbent Nvidia to be considered in the next generation of vehicles, but it clearly doesn't read that way. I'll give that bit a tweak, ta!

5. DbD

DbD Minimodder

So reading the source it sounds like Tesla are beating out the incumbent Nvidia with their own chip, made at GloFo and they have bought IP off AMD. It doesn't actually say AMD are doing any work - so it may be that Tesla are designing the chip but they need some IP rights to stop Nvidia using its patents to sue them.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2017
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This. Jim Keller went from AMD to Tesla, so he knows AMD tech. Good for AMD, GloFo and Tesla to drive forward something unique, but it's not like Tesla are shipping as many cars as Audi, who are a big NV partner.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

AMD have issued a denial.
    The whole furore came from people reading far, far too much from a comment from Sanjay Jah (CEO of Globalfoundries):

Tags: Add Tags